Israel-Gaza war
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 07:51:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel-Gaza war
« previous next »
Thread note
MODERATOR WARNING: Any kind of inappropriate posts, including support for indiscriminate killing of civilians, and severe personal attacks against other posters will not be tolerated.

Pages: 1 ... 206 207 208 209 210 [211] 212 213 214 215 216 ... 313
Author Topic: Israel-Gaza war  (Read 222612 times)
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5250 on: January 11, 2024, 10:26:45 AM »

I dont think the people of Gaza are capable of overthrowing Hamas but it is interesting that protests are a regular occurrence in Iran despite heavy usage of executions but not in Gaza.

They are now, but there have been lengthy periods when that was not the case. This didn't mean that everybody (or even the often asserted "overwhelming majority") were enthusiastic supporters of the regime, any more than it now means that in Gaza. And please spare me "polls" which have blindingly obvious drawbacks in non-democratic entities, even more so during wartime.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #5251 on: January 11, 2024, 06:33:19 PM »
« Edited: January 11, 2024, 10:33:48 PM by Meclazine for Israel »

Palestinian Protestors Getting Hosed

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C1-c0nlrKE2/

Meanwhile, US, UK and Australian interests have launched an attack on Yemen in an attempt to allow the Houthi's an opportunity to reassess their short term goals.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-01-12/britain-joins-strikes-against-houthi-rebels/103312432

GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #5252 on: January 12, 2024, 12:14:57 AM »

So a Palestinian gives you their opinion on the whole thing-which us going to have significantly more personal insight that most of us the rest of us-and you just want to rubbish them and pretend they're an idiot?

Just because someone is Palestinian doesn't mean everything they say about Palestine or the Israel-Gaza conflict is true, lmao.  Hamas is Palestinian, do you take everything Hamas says about Gaza as gospel because they have "significantly more personal insight"?

Or, and I know this is crazy but bear with me, do you just pick things people say that you agree with, and invent rationalizations after the fact for why you choose to continue believing them in the face of compelling facts and arguments?

All I pointed out wad that someone who is Palestinian is worth listening to. I've spoken to people like Ray Goldfield about my position and while we don't exactly see eye to eye, we do recognise that someone's opinion is not automatically worthless because they happen to be different from ours.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5253 on: January 13, 2024, 06:52:34 PM »

Highly disturbing developments coming out of Israel.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/jan/13/it-is-a-time-of-witch-hunts-in-israel-teacher-held-in-solitary-confinement-for-posting-concern-about-gaza-deaths
An unlikely charge of intent to commit treason landed Meir Baruchin, a grey-haired, softly spoken history and civics teacher, in the solitary confinement wing of Jerusalem’s notorious “Russian Compound” prison in early November.

The evidence compiled by police who handcuffed him, then drove to his apartment and ransacked it as he watched, was a series of Facebook posts he’d made, mourning the civilians killed in Gaza, criticising the Israeli military, and warning against wars of revenge.

“Horrific images are pouring in from Gaza. Entire families were wiped out. I don’t usually upload pictures like this, but look what we do in revenge,” said a message on 8 October, below a picture of the family of Abu Daqqa, killed in one of the first airstrikes on Gaza. “Anyone who thinks this is justified because of what happened yesterday, should unfriend themselves. I ask everyone else to do everything possible to stop this madness. Stop it now. Not later, Now!!!”

Ten days after that Facebook message, he was fired from his teaching job in Petach Tikvah municipality. Less than a month later he was in a high-security jail, detained to give police more time to investigate critical views he had never tried to hide.

He was interrogated again before a second judge ordered his release. Questioners told him his posts were like the Protocols of the Elders of Zion, among the most famously antisemitic documents in the world. “I’m a history teacher, so I asked, ‘Did you ever read them?’ They didn’t respond.”

When his name is clear, Baruchin plans to sue Israeli media who reported police charges without asking for his response or looking for evidence, and accused him of justifying and legitimising Hamas.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #5254 on: January 13, 2024, 07:33:31 PM »

Analysis of the US-UK-AUS strike carried out on the Houthi Rebels' sites.

Sky News Analysis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ5CbzbCG2k

The USS Eisenhower utilised the FA-18 Superhornet's. The British then had 4 bombers dropping munitions on targets under umbrella provided by forces from the USS Eisenhower.

Houthi's stirring up the Hornets Nest. USS Eisenhower with FA-18 Superhornets (Getty Images)

President Joe Biden is considering putting the Houthi's back on the terrorist list alongside Hamas and Hezbollah.

Peter Zeihan gives his analysis on the situation in the Red Sea.

US Navy Strikes Houthi Forces

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2p4atitLzM

Anti-Trump Truth Socialite JD Vance Enjoying Juror
NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #5255 on: January 13, 2024, 07:33:41 PM »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/jan/13/it-is-a-time-of-witch-hunts-in-israel-teacher-held-in-solitary-confinement-for-posting-concern-about-gaza-deaths
An unlikely charge of intent to commit treason landed Meir Baruchin, a grey-haired, softly spoken history and civics teacher, in the solitary confinement wing of Jerusalem’s notorious “Russian Compound” prison in early November.

The evidence compiled by police who handcuffed him, then drove to his apartment and ransacked it as he watched, was a series of Facebook posts he’d made, mourning the civilians killed in Gaza, criticising the Israeli military, and warning against wars of revenge.

“Horrific images are pouring in from Gaza. Entire families were wiped out. I don’t usually upload pictures like this, but look what we do in revenge,” said a message on 8 October, below a picture of the family of Abu Daqqa, killed in one of the first airstrikes on Gaza. “Anyone who thinks this is justified because of what happened yesterday, should unfriend themselves. I ask everyone else to do everything possible to stop this madness. Stop it now. Not later, Now!!!”

Ten days after that Facebook message, he was fired from his teaching job in Petach Tikvah municipality. Less than a month later he was in a high-security jail, detained to give police more time to investigate critical views he had never tried to hide.

He was interrogated again before a second judge ordered his release. Questioners told him his posts were like the Protocols of the Elders of Zion, among the most famously antisemitic documents in the world. “I’m a history teacher, so I asked, ‘Did you ever read them?’ They didn’t respond.”

When his name is clear, Baruchin plans to sue Israeli media who reported police charges without asking for his response or looking for evidence, and accused him of justifying and legitimising Hamas.

Only Democracy in the Middle EastTM
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5256 on: January 13, 2024, 07:36:40 PM »

That talking point deserves to be shredded, yes. Israel is a fairly typical Middle Eastern country whether or not the people there or elsewhere would hate to acknowledge it.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5257 on: January 13, 2024, 07:39:59 PM »

That talking point deserves to be shredded, yes. Israel is a fairly typical Middle Eastern country whether or not the people there or elsewhere would hate to acknowledge it.

Imagine actually believing this Roll Eyes
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5258 on: January 14, 2024, 03:14:27 AM »

So now we're acting surprised that some of the poorest people in the world are concerned about their living standards, rather than the safety of the civilians of the country blockading them?

And this is another example of Palestinians being held to a standard Israelis are not. It's obvious from Israeli media coverage that many Israeli civilians who do live comfortable lives have little to no compassion for some of the most desperate people in the world.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5259 on: January 14, 2024, 03:30:45 AM »

So now we're acting surprised that some of the poorest people in the world are concerned about their living standards, rather than the safety of the civilians of the country blockading them?

And this is another example of Palestinians being held to a standard Israelis are not. It's obvious from Israeli media coverage that many Israeli civilians who do live comfortable lives have little to no compassion for some of the most desperate people in the world.
US HDI: 0.921
Israel HDI: 0.919
Cuba HDI: 0.764
Mexico HDI: 0.758
Libya HDI: 0.718
Palestinian HDI: 0.715
Gaza HDI: 0.699 (Philippines is the same)

The data speaks for itself.
○∙◄☻Ątπ[╪AV┼cVę└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #5260 on: January 14, 2024, 03:39:45 AM »

Cyprus is the obvious answer for the most free country in the Middle East.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #5261 on: January 14, 2024, 07:38:27 AM »
« Edited: January 14, 2024, 07:46:19 AM by Meclazine for Israel »

It should be recorded in history that Egypt went out of their way to make sure they did not help any Palestinian refugees flee the conflict in Gaza.

They have been supplying Hamas through tunnels for 15 years. Now they have reinforced their wall to make sure that no Palestinian escapes the hell of war by accepting none.

The hospital patients were the obvious ones to ship out, but Hamas needed them for their Al-Jazeera UNRWA media machine.

Egyptian Border

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2E_iIrrUkR/

The Polish people took around 1 million Ukrainian refugees. Egypt have acted in perfect unison with Hamas' wishes.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5262 on: January 14, 2024, 10:58:00 AM »

The people *currently* in charge of Israel see democracy as an inconvenience at best.

Look at who Bibi's mates are - Putin, Orban, Trump. By their friends ye shall know them.
Birdish
United States

« Reply #5263 on: January 14, 2024, 01:24:54 PM »

Biden "running out" of patience with Bibi as Gaza war hits 100 days

https://www.axios.com/2024/01/14/biden-netanyahu-israel-gaza-war-tensions

I give Biden till the end of January before he's openly criticizing Netanyahu and calling for new leadership.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5264 on: January 14, 2024, 04:06:18 PM »

Biden "running out" of patience with Bibi as Gaza war hits 100 days

https://www.axios.com/2024/01/14/biden-netanyahu-israel-gaza-war-tensions

I give Biden till the end of January before he's openly criticizing Netanyahu and calling for new leadership.

I doubt he'll ever go that far. He has been very, very subservient to Netanyahu and I don't really see that changing.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5265 on: January 14, 2024, 04:19:34 PM »

The people *currently* in charge of Israel see democracy as an inconvenience at best.

Look at who Bibi's mates are - Putin, Orban, Trump. By their friends ye shall know them.

And yet an Israel that has been led by Bibi for so long is still a million times more free, more democratic, and more equal than any of its neighbors.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5266 on: January 14, 2024, 07:14:38 PM »

It should be recorded in history that Egypt went out of their way to make sure they did not help any Palestinian refugees flee the conflict in Gaza.

They have been supplying Hamas through tunnels for 15 years. Now they have reinforced their wall to make sure that no Palestinian escapes the hell of war by accepting none.

The hospital patients were the obvious ones to ship out, but Hamas needed them for their Al-Jazeera UNRWA media machine.

Egyptian Border

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2E_iIrrUkR/

The Polish people took around 1 million Ukrainian refugees. Egypt have acted in perfect unison with Hamas' wishes.
If Egypt allowed the Palestinians in, Israel will never allow them to return. No one is really disputing this
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #5267 on: January 14, 2024, 09:56:43 PM »

And yet an Israel that has been led by Bibi for so long is still a million times more free, more democratic, and more equal than any of its neighbors.

That's debatable at this point. His attempts at reforming the Supreme Court showed exactly the sort of nation he wants Israel to be. He has no interest in democracy and I would bet my life he sees it as something to be removed rather than maintained.

The man wants to be a dictator.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #5268 on: January 15, 2024, 07:33:56 AM »

Turns out no one in the muslim world wants the Palestinian people.

Sad But True

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2E7tjNuwuu/

The Palestinians have now become the most unwanted people on Earth. You can see why people sympathise with them as the Arab World has well and truly turned their back on them

Apart from Yemen, the other Arab countries have no heart muscle to protect their Muslim brothers. I think part of their religion says they have to defend their brothers when under attack.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5269 on: January 15, 2024, 09:55:16 AM »

That's debatable at this point. His attempts at reforming the Supreme Court showed exactly the sort of nation he wants Israel to be. He has no interest in democracy and I would bet my life he sees it as something to be removed rather than maintained.

It’s not debatable.  Like, it’s not something reasonable minds can disagree on.  With all due respect you’re objectively wrong as a matter of fact.  Yes, it’s obvious Netanyahu wants to be a tin pot dictator.  And yet Israel remains an unambiguously free and democratic nation despite him.  When he tried to shift Israel toward authoritarianism, the Israeli people - including the military and IIRC Netanyahu’s own Defense Minister - turned out in droves to make it clear they would not stand for it…and they succeeded.  So strong was the Israeli people’s commitment to democracy that Netanyahu was forced to back down. 

Honestly, Israel held up far better in the face of an aspiring dictator than our institutional checks and balances did during the Summer of 2019 - January 2021 portion of Trump’s Presidency.  For one thing, Israel has always had a peaceful transfer of power which isn’t even true here anymore after the 1/6 insurrection. 
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #5270 on: January 15, 2024, 10:14:35 AM »

Biden to Netanyahu is basically the equivalent of Lukashenko to Putin
BigSkyBob

« Reply #5271 on: January 15, 2024, 01:02:53 PM »

Sorry, if you reduced the power of a Supreme Court to zero you make the country more democratic, not less.  Unlimited, unfettered Democracy might not be a good idea, but that is exactly what it would be. The will of the electorate would always prevail [regardless of what the law, or Constitution says.]
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5272 on: January 15, 2024, 01:06:41 PM »

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #5273 on: January 15, 2024, 02:04:23 PM »

I wanted to reply exactly the same before I saw your post. Yeah, imagine actually believing such nonsense.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5274 on: January 15, 2024, 02:24:11 PM »

Sorry, if you reduced the power of a Supreme Court to zero you make the country more democratic, not less.  Unlimited, unfettered Democracy might not be a good idea, but that is exactly what it would be. The will of the electorate would always prevail [regardless of what the law, or Constitution says.]

Indeed, America's Founding Fathers understood the dangers of unchecked democracy. Even Switzerland doesn't have completely unchecked citizen referenda.
Bibi wants a more radically democratic Israel where his Periphery Jewish voter base (which already had a demographic majority) gets its way over Arabs and other groups. The overhaul was a step in that direction.
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 208 209 210 [211] 212 213 214 215 216 ... 313  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies