Which is the worst big tech company? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 04:23:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Which is the worst big tech company? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Alphabet

Meta

Amazon

Apple

Microsoft

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 59

Author Topic: Which is the worst big tech company?  (Read 777 times)
Electric Circus
United States
« on: April 27, 2024, 03:45:17 PM »
« edited: April 27, 2024, 03:52:32 PM by Electric Circus »

Exactly. The backbone of the web consists of things like Wikipedia, government websites, independent media, and Internet Archive.

Academic websites, too, although it makes me sad how many faculty pages and passion projects are fading. Has anyone else had the devastating experience of following an old link (to a .edu) and getting redirected to some polished turd put together by the administration's lackeys in marketing?

The major tech companies have done their best to embed themselves in the web's infrastructure, but any one of these organizations could deteriorate and we wouldn't lose the internet. Yes, even Amazon and Google.

As insidious as they are, you can do without their products. The most difficult ones to avoid, like Amazon's cloud services, are also the most replaceable.

I'm not sure which is worst. I voted for Meta on account of personal beef. Every other company on this list has accomplished things that I respect, but Facebook and its satellites are just predatory.
Electric Circus
United States
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2024, 03:50:26 PM »

Apple because the iPhone app store has functioned as a Hays' Code on the internet.

Apple is probably the last one I would want to do without, because all of my elderly relatives use their devices and their accessibility features. I don't like iPhones but I'm glad that my grandma isn't doing her banking on something else.
Electric Circus
United States
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2024, 01:36:34 PM »

I am not sure how to interpret this post but if anything I would enjoy a tip on how to make Reddit disappear from my Google search results.

You can use a userscript like this one to maintain a list of ignored sites:

https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/1682-google-hit-hider-by-domain-search-filter-block-sites
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies