Legacy of the Revolution - Sign Up and Rules Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 09:32:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Legacy of the Revolution - Sign Up and Rules Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Legacy of the Revolution - Sign Up and Rules Thread  (Read 683 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 21, 2024, 09:09:50 PM »

Legacy of Revolution
Victory, Glory and Defeat in the Napoleonic Age

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

The Year is 1802.

Thirteen years after the outbreak of the French Revolution, and ten years after the start of the Revolutionary Wars, Europe is, for the first time in a decade, at peace.

The signing of the Treaty of Amiens puts an end to ceaseless strife between Britain and France, but many observers do not expect such a peace to last for eternity.

And in the meantime, nations gear up for what’s to follow while the effects of the French Revolution continue to violently shake up the continent.

Three years after seizing power in a brazen coup d’etat, First Consul Bonaparte has shown himself a genius at politics as well as warfare, but the ceaseless growth of his ambitions signifies that France’s struggles have only just begun.

Across the sea, King George III goes in and out of madness while Pitt the Younger clamours for French blood. And just as an Empire is lost in the Americas, another one is being won in India.

In Central Europe, the old Austro-Prussian rivalry is somewhat tempered as Hapsburg and Hohenzollern feast on the Polish corpse, but it remains unlikely that they’ll share a common battlefield and foe.

In the frozen fields of Russia, a wary Alexander I uneasily succeeds his unstable father after a violent palace coup, and he must contend with the heavy weight of expectations.

Decadent but not finished, the Ottoman and Spanish Empires maintain their hold over vast dominions, with an aspiring Sultan and unscrupulous Minister keen to succeed.

And across the sea, the new American Republic experiences the first years of Democratic-Republican rule, as Thomas Jefferson tries to tame the Hamiltonian beast.

The future is open to all in this world, which ever since July 14th, 1789, can no longer be the same.

In an area of Kings and Revolutionaries, where the old clashes with the new, can you and your nation find success?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Basic Rules:

1. Turns: We will play yearly turns lasting for a week in real time, with a midturn on the fourth day featuring one or two stories at most, starting on January 1st, 1802. For the purposes of the simulation, the Treaty of Amiens is noted as having been already signed, allowing players to move on from there.

2. Coalition Wars: At any such point in which three major European powers (out of France, Britain, Austria, Prussia, Spain, Russia, or the Ottomans) are at war with each other, we shall consider it a “Coalition War”, slowing down the simulation to allow for military midturns covering the early and later part of a given year.

3. Messages: The GM must be informed of the internal talks that are taking place between players, and - ideally – added to all PMs and key group chats. Given the nature of the period (see: Congress of Vienna) players are encouraged to negotiate more openly and less covertly.

4. Historical Simulation: We will be using the dice system for various player decisions, events and warfare, accounting for advantages or disadvantages if necessary. Although there will be significant room for flexibility, players will be encouraged to remain within the grounds of plausibility, and the GM may override decisions which are found to be too out of character (Example: the Romanov Tsar abdicating to allow for a parliamentary democracy). There will be special events or announcements as certain situations arise, including historical and fictional crises.

5. Hindsight: Given the wealth of information about the Napoleonic times, there is temptation to benefit from hindsight. The GM will look carefully at orders or decisions that could only be made with hindsight and would not reasonably be known to the nation/playable character at the time. Players will not be able to order research into pieces of technology that they would only know of based on hindsight. Weapons of mass destruction (including biological and chemical weaponry) will NOT be available.

6. Stats and Warfare: The stats for each player will be focused on "Popularity” and “Economic Status”, which are fairly self-explanatory.

The warfare system will be based around an abstract naval system judging navy sizes and qualities; and a direct land system which accounts for men using the corps-system. Armies will also come with a tier of doctrines, depending on the historical nature of their nation's armed forces at the time.

Armies will be measured in terms of corps of multiple divisions, ranging from 20,000 to 30,000 men. The lack of specificity in the numbers will add to the fog of war. A series of logistical barriers will determine how many corps can be put in the field without SEVERE and drastic logistical penalties (see: the Grande Armeé in Russia).

Should a particularly decisive battle take place in an endturn, players will be provided context and given a number of choices. Said choices will influence the outcome of a battle. 

7. Declaring War and Real Time Simulation: This is IMPORTANT. All warfare between players MUST come with a formal declaration of war in the Gameplay Thread, representing the formality of warfare and diplomacy in the Napoleonic age.

If you declare war against another player within the last 24 hours of a turn, the eventual campaign will be shortened to account for the lack of time to react, slower mobilization, and for fairness to players.

You are not obliged to formally declare war on an NPC, but NPCs in general will start becoming hostile to players that abuse undeclared invasions.

8. Game Over: Game Over can come in four ways: Surrendering, being captured, or being deposed by another player in an invasion, being deposed in a coup or revolt, being assassinated without a clear designated heir, or losing an election.

Players in democratic nations may be able to continue playing after the voluntary resignation or term-limit of their original character if the designated successor wins the election or retains the parliamentary majority.

9. Intelligence: Players may make use of their respective intelligence services for intrigue or espionage purposes. There are finite resources available, so the more operatives you use, the more you may lose, the less effective you are or the less operations you can pull off.

10. Assassination: Assassinations are nerfed for the purposes of this game in terms of dice odds, becoming far rarer to achieve. Player characters with have lower odds of success than NPCs. The odds of successful discovery have also been increased, as well as the penalty associated with it. If an assassination fails, subsequent attempts will face increasingly lower odds as well as higher odds of discovery.

11. GM Requests: The amount of info or feedback provided by the GM will be more limited than in past games, and focused on providing answers from the advisors surrounding the player. This means NO objective answers, forcing players to take risks and accepting that no action is guaranteed of success.  The GM will not be answering any questions between the end of turn and the posting of a new turn (looking specifically at player negotiations).
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2024, 09:10:29 PM »

Unlike other games, the eight top spots for Legacy will be allocated by the GM. The second tier and faction tier will be first come, first served as usual. Players who wish to play one of the top eight nations are encouraged to provide a list of alternatives they'd like to play as, in case the GM decides a different allocation than their first preference.

Sign ups will remain open until early May, so I can make a judgement around the 7th or 8th, and start on May 15th.

Players and Countries:

Special Tier:
(GM will decide after asking a few questions)

French Republic – First Consul Napoleon Bonaparte

First Tier:
(Players must apply, GM will prioritize "newer" players)

United Kingdom – King George III Hanover
Hapsburg Monarchy – Emperor Francis II Hapsburg
Kingdom of Prussia – King Frederick Wilhelm III Hohenzollern
Russian Empire – Tsar Alexander I Romanov
Ottoman Empire – Sultan Selim III Osman
Spanish Empire – First Secretary Manuel Godoy

Second Tier:
(Open to All)

Kingdom of Sweden – King Gustav Adolf IV Vasa
Kingdom of Naples – Queen Consort Maria Carolina Hapsburg
Kingdom of Norway-Denmark – King Christian VII Oldenburg
Kingdom of Portugal – Prince Regent Joao IV Braganza
Electorate of Bavaria – Prince-Elector Maximilian Joseph
Electorate of Saxony – Prince-Elector Frederick Augustus
United States of America – President Thomas Jefferson
Kingdom of Sardinia – King Charles Emmanuel IV Savoy
Batavian Republic - Ambassador Rutger Jan Schimmelpenninck

Faction Tier:
(Intrigue/Diplomatic/Political-based gameplay, different to nations)

Latin American Revolutionaries – Francisco de Miranda
French Royalists – Charles Philippe, Count of Artois
French Republicans – Lucien Bonaparte, General Moreau, or Lazaré Carnot
French Opportunists - Charles-Maurice de Talleyrand / Joseph Fouché
United States (Opposition) – Former Secretary Alexander Hamilton / Vice President Aaron Burr
Ottoman Vassals - Muhammad Ali (Egypt); Karadorde (Serbia); Ali Pasha (Albania); Constantine Ypsilantis (Moldavia-Wallachia)
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2024, 10:41:00 PM »

I will definitely play this game and am fairly flexible other than not playing as Napoleon unless somehow no one else signs up for him. I have listed my top preferences below.

1. Tsar Alexander I of Russia
2. Holy Roman Emperor Francis II
3. King George III of the United Kingdom
4. King Frederick Wilhelm III of Prussia
5. Sultan Selim III of the Ottoman Empire
6. President Thomas Jefferson
7. Commander Muhammad Ali
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2024, 11:07:54 PM »
« Edited: April 21, 2024, 11:12:47 PM by Devout Centrist »

Here are my rankings. I'll also toss my hat in the ring for Napoleon, which may depend on Lumine's questions and other player interest.

Special Tier:
(-) French Republic – First Consul Napoleon Bonaparte

First Tier:
(1.) United Kingdom – King George III Hanover
(2.) Hapsburg Monarchy – Emperor Francis II Hapsburg
(3.) French Opportunists - Charles-Maurice de Talleyrand / Joseph Fouché
(4.) Spanish Empire – First Secretary Manuel Godoy
(5.) Kingdom of Norway-Denmark – King Christian VII Oldenburg
(6.) Batavian Republic - Ambassador Rutger Jan Schimmelpenninck
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2024, 11:17:47 PM »

Definitely what to sign up for this. My preferences are:

1) King Frederick Wilhelm III of Prussia

2) Lucien Bonaparte

3) Prince Regent Joao Braganza

4) Joseph Fouche

5) Charles Philippe, Count of Artois
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2024, 11:35:24 PM »

Definitely would like to sign up as well. Would like to play as the United States if possible, my secondary preferences would be I guess UK followed by Spain.
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2024, 11:46:19 PM »

I would like to request the Batavian Republic.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2024, 12:24:05 PM »

Definitely down to join, though I do have some scheduling conflicts I've outlined to Lumine.

My preferences are:

1) United Kingdom

2) Russia

3) Ottoman Empire

4) Spain

5) Prussia

6 ) Austria

7) United States

8. Sardinia
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2024, 02:54:12 PM »
« Edited: May 04, 2024, 12:19:53 PM by certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦 »

1. The Sublime Porte under Selim III

2. Kingdom of Sardinia

3. Habsburg Monarchy

4. Mamluk Egypt

5. Kingdom of Naples
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2024, 05:11:30 PM »
« Edited: April 22, 2024, 05:15:10 PM by windjammer »

Godoy for me please!

1) Spain
2) Naples
SuzerainOfSwat
Rookie
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2024, 08:14:38 AM »

1. Norway-Denmark
2. Prussia
3. Austria
4. Russia
5. France
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2024, 01:56:34 PM »

Godoy for me please!

1) Spain
2) Naples

Almost forgot! Would be ideal if you could give me more alternatives, in the sense that Spain is among those reserved for newer players, and Naples could potentially go for Spamage. You may still get either Spain or Naples, but it helps to have options.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2024, 03:47:00 PM »

I sadly won't have time to play for the moment. Have fun!

I might come later!
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2024, 03:53:12 PM »

Signing up to earn my rightful place in history as Napoleon Bonaparte. Full preferences below:

1. French Republic
2. Russian Empire
3. Kingdom of Prussia
4. Kingdom of Sardinia
5. Hapsburg Monarchy
6. United Kingdom
7. Kingdom of Norway-Denmark
8. Kingdom of Portugal
9. Kingdom of Naples
10. Electorate of Bavaria
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2024, 04:30:56 PM »

I sadly won't have time to play for the moment. Have fun!

I might come later!
In the end I will have time lol.

1) Spain
2) Naples
3)Sweden
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2024, 10:19:33 PM »

Excited for this, always wanted to play a game in this setting!

My preferences would be:

1. Naples
2. Batavian Republic
3. Bavaria
4. Saxony
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2024, 06:19:55 AM »

1. French Republic
2. Spanish Empire
3. Russian Empire
4. Batavian Republic
5. Latin American revolutionaries

not in options so assuming these are not available
6. Belgian revolutionaries
7. Haiti
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2024, 03:04:15 PM »

About a week left for sign-ups! (just a reminder)
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2024, 08:46:22 AM »

1. Russian Empire – Tsar Alexander I Romanov
2. United Kingdom – King George III Hanover
3. French Republic – First Consul Napoleon Bonaparte
4. Kingdom of Prussia – King Frederick Wilhelm III Hohenzollern
5. Hapsburg Monarchy – Emperor Francis II Hapsburg
6. United States of America – President Thomas Jefferson
7. Kingdom of Portugal – Prince Regent Joao IV Braganza
8. Ottoman Empire – Sultan Selim III Osman
9. Spanish Empire – First Secretary Manuel Godoy
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2024, 12:23:28 PM »

Only have minor experience with diplomacy games but I'm interested in giving this a shot with one of the lower tier factions. I'll try to take one of the ones that no one has really claimed yet.

1. Sardinia
2. Saxony
3. Bavaria
Carolyn
Rookie
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2024, 11:01:04 PM »

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length