TikTok ban? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:40:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  TikTok ban? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: TikTok ban?  (Read 6981 times)
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: March 08, 2024, 09:44:17 PM »

I want to be clear this is not trolling, I do believe internal misogyny is a part of why so many otherwise “pro-freedom” progressive posters on here are against TikTok. Especially when other Chinese companies operating in the US don’t get this level of scrutiny from them. (This doesn’t not apply to posters who are at least consistently anti-China everything like OSR, even though that’s also a dull stance)

And I do believe it would hurt Biden if Tiktok was banned in the US right before the election.

I hope this comment is more to the standards of moderation, I want to reiterate this is my genuine belief.

If it's misogyny, shouldn't those posters also be anti Instagram? I think both skew towards a slightly more female user base while Twitter is more male. Would make sense.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2024, 11:28:19 AM »

I don't care what happens to tiktok. I don't use it and never will. But it's very funny that a bunch of blue avs suddenly changed their mind as soon as Trump changed his. Do you think for yourselves at all? Extremely pathetic.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2024, 12:46:10 PM »

Has anyone else noticed a softening of the GOP's China rhetoric lately, not just on tiktok but as a whole? Their hardcore anti China stance is one of the few things they were better than Dems on, and they're blowing it.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2024, 02:46:19 PM »

Has anyone else noticed a softening of the GOP's China rhetoric lately, not just on tiktok but as a whole? Their hardcore anti China stance is one of the few things they were better than Dems on, and they're blowing it.

Conservatives hate America now.

Oh I don't think the hatred is new. They're just more open about it now. This is why they've always been obsessed with meaningless symbols of patriotism like the pledge of allegiance, standing for the anthem and owning a thousand flags.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2024, 08:07:03 PM »

They're turning against it because Trump has now come out against banning it, a change from when he was President.

I know, but I'd like to hear them admit it.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2024, 10:47:54 AM »

Honestly I think Biden should veto if it passes the senate. Normally I wouldn't go this route, but voters are very dumb and simple about things like this, and I can easily see this turning into a BIDEN WANTS TO BAN TIKTOK, TRUMP WANTS TO SAVE IT type nonsense thing even though the truth is much more complex than that

Yeah, as I've said I don't care at all about the app, it takes the parts of Instagram and Snapchat I dislike, combining them into mindlessness. Still, really not worth banning if it's gonna hurt him that much with low info voters.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2024, 11:17:31 AM »

Interesting that only 15 of the nay votes were Republicans, despite Trump coming out against the ban. Most of the no votes were from the progressive wing, especially younger reps like Sara Jacobs (major rising star vibes from her).

The present vote was Jasmine Crockett. She's already had several viral social media moments getting the GOP together. I quite like her as well.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2024, 06:08:19 PM »

If TikTok is banned, what will the dominant social media platform be in the future?

I never want to hear "there's more important issues" from anyone who supports banning Tiktok.

Instagram does everything tiktok does + you can actually have normal still shots, not just annoying short videos with bad AI voices.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies