TikTok ban? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:30:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  TikTok ban? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: TikTok ban?  (Read 6977 times)
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« on: March 09, 2024, 02:36:11 PM »

Has anyone else noticed a softening of the GOP's China rhetoric lately, not just on tiktok but as a whole? Their hardcore anti China stance is one of the few things they were better than Dems on, and they're blowing it.

Conservatives hate America now.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2024, 03:24:34 PM »
« Edited: March 09, 2024, 04:51:59 PM by DaleCooper »

Has anyone else noticed a softening of the GOP's China rhetoric lately, not just on tiktok but as a whole? Their hardcore anti China stance is one of the few things they were better than Dems on, and they're blowing it.

Conservatives hate America now.

Oh I don't think the hatred is new. They're just more open about it now. This is why they've always been obsessed with meaningless symbols of patriotism like the pledge of allegiance, standing for the anthem and owning a thousand flags.
They openly root against America now, I should say.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2024, 04:50:42 PM »
« Edited: March 09, 2024, 07:38:53 PM by YE »

Yes, the people who are comfortable with China spying on them are bad, but the anti-TikTok crowd has no leg to stand on when their whole argument is basically that stealing, hording, and selling American's personal data should be a whites only industry. The Chinese spying on us and brainwashing us is worse than Zuckerberg doing it, but neither should be allowed to do it.

If the Democrats called for a universal ban on social media companies keeping and selling their users' data, then they'd have near unanimous public support from everyone on all these sh-tty platforms.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2024, 06:09:51 PM »

stealing, hording, and selling American's personal data should be a whites only industry

c'mon man

I was being deliberately provocative there, but listening to skeptics of this legislation, it's very clear that people are angry about the government's indifference towards American tech companies stealing our information and spying on us. Instead of targeting TikTok we could kill the whole problem at once and do it in a way that almost everyone would support.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2024, 01:50:41 PM »

They want to ban TikTok because the western media can not control it. TikTok is one of the few places the youth can get a pro climate, anti-corporate, anti-military industrial complex, reform or anti-capitalist message. While you might not agree with these things they are all covered by free speech but western media has left virtual no spaces for these topics.

This is the real reason why they want to ban TikTok.

All that sh-t can be, and is, posted everywhere. For the moment, it seems that the Chinese are more interested in collecting information than they are deliberately controlling the narrative on TikTok outside of boosting generally divisive and controversial material, which is why certain information that otherwise goes against China's interests is allowed on the platform.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2024, 01:54:31 PM »

They want to ban TikTok because the western media can not control it. TikTok is one of the few places the youth can get a pro climate, anti-corporate, anti-military industrial complex, reform or anti-capitalist message. While you might not agree with these things they are all covered by free speech but western media has left virtual no spaces for these topics.

This is the real reason why they want to ban TikTok.

All that sh-t can be, and is, posted everywhere. For the moment, it seems that the Chinese are more interested in collecting information than they are deliberately controlling the narrative on TikTok outside of boosting generally divisive and controversial material, which is why certain information that otherwise goes against China's interests is allowed on the platform.

It isn't though and American social media platforms have been caught shadow-banning and demonetizing or outright banning accounts solely on the basis of not following the corporate agenda.

I don't believe it.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2024, 12:04:31 PM »

Not sure why everyone thinks that this will hurt Biden so horribly. Most Americans seem to hate social media. It's not like this is the "Ban Netflix" legislation or something. Almost everyone knows at this point anyway that TikTok is Chinese spyware.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2024, 12:48:15 PM »

Biden won’t win reelection at all if he signs this

Most people who use it can't vote anyway. Who cares
The youth that can vote will care. I think Americans will also question why congress can pass a Tik Tok ban so quickly and then ignore every other issue and pass the fewest laws in decades. It really makes me not want to vote at all.

The youth are more complicated than that. They're the most likely demographic to waste their lives on social media but I believe they are also the most likely to be hostile to it or boycott it. Another thing that is being overstated is how much of TikTok actually consists of political crap. Most people on TikTok are sitting at home, mouth open, drooling as they watch 5 hours straight of 30-second clips of people cutting up blocks of kinetic sand. Not really the types of people you can count on to vote.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2024, 01:41:11 PM »

Biden won’t win reelection at all if he signs this

Most people who use it can't vote anyway. Who cares
The youth that can vote will care. I think Americans will also question why congress can pass a Tik Tok ban so quickly and then ignore every other issue and pass the fewest laws in decades. It really makes me not want to vote at all.

It's sad if someone votes based on whether they can use Tiktok. Other social media platforms exist that aren't beholden to the CCP.

If ByteDance weren't collecting and using data from Americans for the CCP, it wouldn't have any problem storing the data in the US or divesting the app.
The point just went over your head, man.

No, I get you're blaming Biden despite the fact the mess in Congress is not on him. People will blame him anyway.
sigh... I’m upset that congress can’t fix actual problems we care about and pass those type of laws in records times while they can easily and flawlessly come together to ban Tik tok with little resistance.

To be fair, an adversarial sh-thole nation using a spyware app to stockpile the private data of American citizens is actually a pretty big problem. The eagerness of both parties to go forward with this, potential electoral consequences be damned, is probably a sign that the national security risk is more severe than a lot of us realize. I wish they went about this better, because we had an opportunity to use this situation as a justification for killing all social media surveillance at once, but whatever.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2024, 02:08:22 PM »

Anyways if GMac, DaleCooper, and BRTD want to go on a tiktok is bad and all the users are sheeple brainwashed by China circlejerk, that’s totally fine. Whatever makes them feel superior. However I do hope they are at least intelligent enough to realize why that’s not going to convince anyone nor why their ideas would backfire electorally. The only good news for Atlas Dems is that the writers of this bill had enough brain cells to make the most damaging parts of it only happen after the election in practice.

I don't necessarily think they're all brainwashed, I think they all have brain damage.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2024, 01:38:14 PM »

I don't know that censorship is really an accurate way to describe this, even if you are opposed to it. None of the content on TikTok is being censored by the government. It can be uploaded anywhere. The crackdown here is because an uncivilized sh-thole country owns and operates the platform. If MySpace was run by al Qaeda then there would probably have been similar action taken back then too.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2024, 01:50:38 PM »

Joe Biden unalived Tiktok, to use Tiktok slang.
I hope the term "unalive" gets unalived along with Tiktok.

A lot of the fake words influencers use to avoid getting "demonetized" are seeping into everyday language thanks to their mentally ill viewers. The amount of self-censorship these days is beyond anything I've ever witnessed.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies