TikTok ban? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 12:20:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  TikTok ban? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: TikTok ban?  (Read 6988 times)
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« on: March 08, 2024, 03:33:04 PM »

Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2024, 11:36:09 PM »

I used to be vehemently anti TikTok until a year ago. Then I realized what is the CCP going to do with my data? I'm nearly 7k miles away from them and don't have plans of visiting their country. But they built a platform that allowed millions of people from my generation to share their creativity, beliefs, and content with across the world free of censorship and control. And I have to respect Bytedance for that. Is TikTok addicting, I mean sure but you can say that about TV, or the internet in general. Meanwhile our own government conducts surveillance of us, and poses a greater direct threat to you than the CCP in terms of what they can do. The Uniparty kills everything it touches.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2024, 04:45:42 PM »

Summarized: we must control the narrative.

heatcharger, I do not think that is an accurate summary of my post.

It is. Once you veer into complaining about the type of content on the platform it’s clear you want changes to what Americans are seeing on social media. Most anti-TikTok arguments end up in this direction.

The issue isn't necessarily the type of content (I am not calling for any state control or banning of TruthSocial, for instance), the issue is that it is controlled by the Chinese Communist Party.  Even if China was purely using this to inject truth and justice and happiness into our lives, it is still bad for America to give a foreign enemy state such a powerful information tool in the pockets of every American.

The fact that it's actually being used to broadcast harmful misinformation and complete BS, overwhelmingly in service of an anti-American foreign policy agenda that by sheer coincidence just so happens to align with exactly what China wants Americans to believe, is icing on the cake.

Regardless, if you think things like community notes on Twitter are a bad thing, it is most likely because you either have some agenda that is lie-driven and undermined by any sort of added context or fact-checking, or you believe something that deep down you know is false and get very triggered anytime you are faced with reality.

Again, whatever happened to Republicans being strong against China?  I'm old enough to remember four years ago when that was a thing.  Now Republicans are willing to die on the hill of defending the Chinese Communist Party's right to have an unlimited disinformation & propaganda chip plugged into the brain of every single American, and if I think that's bad, it's because I want to "control the narrative."  Whose narrative?  China's?  Why would it even be a bad thing for America to control China's narrative?  Why should we want China's narrative to dominate the American public?
Okay the CCP has our data. Cool? What is the worst they are going to do with it? Meanwhile the US government has in the past spied on us, and the uniparty wants to engage with censorship. Xi and the CCP outplayed the establishment and flipped the script which I think is hilarious. Banning TikTok makes us look more like China - not less.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2024, 10:55:38 PM »

As predicted ByteDance is not going to sell. The US government is going to have to rip TikTok out of the hands of millions of Americans.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2024, 11:31:30 PM »

As predicted ByteDance is not going to sell. The US government is going to have to rip TikTok out of the hands of millions of Americans.

What does that mean?
You will no longer be able to freely access TikTok in the US within a years time. Similar to how the CCP shuts down websites the same will happen to Americans as we lose our freedom. If you use VPN its still possible to access the content, but once the uniparty figures that out its likely they will start restricting access to that as well which was in the original Restrict Act from 2023.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2024, 02:04:41 PM »

Yes China bans American websites because they are a communist country, but we are not. I'm tired of our government pretending like it's morally superior to the CCP and then follows similar tactics against freedom.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies