TikTok ban? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 01:47:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  TikTok ban? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: TikTok ban?  (Read 7002 times)
emailking
Atlas Icon
« on: March 08, 2024, 04:05:10 PM »

Note, if it passes it's only banned if they do not sell it off within 6 months.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2024, 02:33:21 PM »

I'm a big supporter of this policy, not because I care about Chinese influence, data privacy or anything but soley because it will rid the literary world of the cancer that is booktok.

I didn't know about that, but reading about it, it seems like a way to get people into reading.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2024, 02:44:26 PM »

Y’all realize this doesn’t “ban” tik tok but would force it to be sold to an American company

I believe it does ban it if not sold by 6 months after passage.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2024, 03:23:48 PM »

Y’all realize this doesn’t “ban” tik tok but would force it to be sold to an American company

I believe it does ban it if not sold by 6 months after passage.

Yea and is a massive social media platform. I’d be shocked if that doesn’t happen

I'm not so sure. A court will probably put an injunction on it as happened with the Montana ban. And then I imagine it will eventually be overturned. In which case they wouldn't have to sell.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2024, 05:26:34 PM »

They're turning against it because Trump has now come out against banning it, a change from when he was President.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2024, 02:42:16 PM »

I don’t use tik tok, so maybe I’m missing something here, but what kind of “data” is it specifically that we’re worried the Chinese are stealing from users?

I think the worry is that it's some kind of malware that steals data from your phone.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2024, 07:50:39 AM »

This will probably pass the House easily today. Its future in the Senate is unclear. If it does eventually pass it probably will be a different bill that fixes some of the problems with this one. Even if a ban eventually gets signed I think it would be years before a ban is actually in effect, as Apple and Google will probably fight it hard.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2024, 09:05:42 AM »

It needs a 2/3 vote to pass today because they fast tracked it which is why it's not a sure thing but it will probably get that.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2024, 09:40:26 AM »

Passes 352-65, 1 present
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2024, 10:24:07 AM »

House passes bill that could ban TikTok despite resistance from Trump

The House voted with bipartisan, overwhelming fashion on Wednesday to pass a bill that could lead to a nationwide ban against TikTok, a major challenge to one of the world’s most popular social media apps.

The bill would prohibit TikTok from US app stores unless the social media platform — used by roughly 170 million Americans — is spun off from its Chinese parent company, ByteDance. It’s not yet clear what the future of the bill will be in the Senate. The House vote was 352 to 65, with 50 Democrats and 15 Republicans voting in opposition.

Lawmakers supportive of the bill have argued TikTok poses a national security threat because the Chinese government could use its intelligence laws against ByteDance, forcing it to hand over the data of US app users.

The push to pass the bill came up against headwinds from several different political directions: former President Donald Trump, who was once a proponent of banning the platform, has since equivocated on his position, while Democrats are facing pressure from young progressives among whom TikTok remains a preferred social media platform.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/13/politics/house-vote-tiktok-ban-bill/index.html
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2024, 11:53:16 AM »

Biden won’t win reelection at all if he signs this

I don't know about that but I think it's going to hurt him.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2024, 10:46:52 PM »

A scattered and weekend booktok will still be an advantage. Seriously the way the literature of our generation is being ruined by booktok almost makes me want to become a RETVRN poster.

How is it doing that? I don't follow this stuff.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2024, 01:00:47 PM »

Re: the bill that just passed the House in the series where they also passed Ukraine aid.

Looks like the TikTok bill is basically the same ban but now they have up to a year to sell it instead of 6 months. This will push the issue past the election at least. It has more support in the senate.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2024, 03:13:23 PM »

They might divest which would mean the dancing will continue for you. We don't know what will happen.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2024, 07:51:00 PM »

The average US adult spends 33 minutes per day on Instagram.

That's ambiguous. I think you mean the average amount of time a US adult spends on Instagram is 33 minutes.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2024, 11:54:01 PM »
« Edited: April 26, 2024, 02:15:05 PM by emailking »

You will no longer be able to freely access TikTok in the US within a years time.

Realistically I think it will take longer and perhaps significantly so. There will likely be an injunction on the ban going into effect while this is litigated.

I'm also not convinced they won't sell, despite the X post above.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2024, 08:48:06 AM »

TikTok sues U.S. government, saying potential ban violates First Amendment
The company argues that invoking national security concerns isn't a sufficient reason to restrict free speech.

TikTok is suing the U.S. government to stop enforcement of a bill passed last month that seeks to force the app’s Chinese owner to sell the app or have it banned.

The lawsuit, filed Tuesday in the U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals for Washington, D.C., argues that the bill, the Protecting Americans from Foreign Adversary Controlled Applications Act, violates constitutional protections of free speech.

The suit calls the law an “unprecedented violation” of the First Amendment.

“For the first time in history, Congress has enacted a law that subjects a single, named speech platform to a permanent, nationwide ban,” TikTok wrote in the lawsuit, “and bars every American from participating in a unique online community with more than 1 billion people worldwide.”

The company argues that invoking national security concerns is not a sufficient reason for restricting free speech, and that the burden is on the federal government to prove that this restriction is warranted. It has not met that burden, the lawsuit stated.

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/tiktok-sues-us-government-says-ban-violates-first-amendment-rcna151059
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2024, 01:08:38 PM »

It's not in the excerpt but they're also suing on the grounds that the law violates their due process rights under the Fifth Amendment.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies