TikTok ban?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 12:08:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  TikTok ban?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12
Author Topic: TikTok ban?  (Read 6984 times)
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: March 13, 2024, 11:17:31 AM »

Interesting that only 15 of the nay votes were Republicans, despite Trump coming out against the ban. Most of the no votes were from the progressive wing, especially younger reps like Sara Jacobs (major rising star vibes from her).

The present vote was Jasmine Crockett. She's already had several viral social media moments getting the GOP together. I quite like her as well.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #176 on: March 13, 2024, 11:39:31 AM »

I also will note he didn’t at all respond to ElectricCircus’s post calling him out for his “auditing” idea, suggesting he is not influenced by logic here and does not want a legitimate discussion but rather everyone to fall in line with his “thinking”.

I made a number of points in that post that didn't get a response. His bit about "auditing" algorithms was not just BS, but implausible BS.

Maybe he was too busy musing over his next chest-thumping speech?  "Chinese Communist Party, Trump, China, Trump, Republicans, China, China, China!"

Sorry I didn't respond to every single post in this thread that has nearly 200 posts.  I don't see the one being referenced here in the last three pages of this thread and don't know what it's referring to.

I am not constantly on Atlas.  I usually check it in the morning and in the evening, and many days I don't check it at all.  If you write a post in a fast-moving thread in the afternoon it is entirely within the realm of possibility that I will only skim it or skip it entirely to try and get to the head of the conversation.
EastwoodS

« Reply #177 on: March 13, 2024, 11:49:12 AM »

Biden won’t win reelection at all if he signs this
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #178 on: March 13, 2024, 11:53:16 AM »

I don't know about that but I think it's going to hurt him.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #179 on: March 13, 2024, 11:56:52 AM »

I don’t think signing it will hurt him unless the app is actually banned in the US by the election.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #180 on: March 13, 2024, 12:02:17 PM »

I don’t think signing it will hurt him unless the app is actually banned in the US by the election.

Yea there’s already the six month “grace” period, and there’s certainly going to be litigation around it
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #181 on: March 13, 2024, 12:04:31 PM »

Not sure why everyone thinks that this will hurt Biden so horribly. Most Americans seem to hate social media. It's not like this is the "Ban Netflix" legislation or something. Almost everyone knows at this point anyway that TikTok is Chinese spyware.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #182 on: March 13, 2024, 12:08:11 PM »

Not sure why everyone thinks that this will hurt Biden so horribly. Most Americans seem to hate social media. It's not like this is the "Ban Netflix" legislation or something. Almost everyone knows at this point anyway that TikTok is Chinese spyware.

My girlfriend uses TikTok for probably about five hours a week and her take on this has always been kind of like the same as if you tried to talk to her about how much sugar Starbucks puts in their drinks or something.  Like "haha yeah I know it's bad but I love it anyway."  I asked her this morning how she would go on living if TikTok was banned, she just shrugged and said "it's not the only social media app."
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #183 on: March 13, 2024, 12:15:56 PM »

Banning TikTok specifically is idiocy that does nothing for the underlying problems.

Ban spying on users and give users control of their own algorithms and feeds, and much (though not all) of the worst aspect of social media disappear.

But that's not even on the table, because companies with more influence on US politics make a lot of money from spying on their users and controlling what they see.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #184 on: March 13, 2024, 12:23:54 PM »

Honestly banning Netflix might be more popular than banning tik tok
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #185 on: March 13, 2024, 12:28:58 PM »

Most people who use it can't vote anyway. Who cares
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #186 on: March 13, 2024, 12:32:38 PM »

Honestly I think Biden should veto if it passes the senate. Normally I wouldn't go this route, but voters are very dumb and simple about things like this, and I can easily see this turning into a BIDEN WANTS TO BAN TIKTOK, TRUMP WANTS TO SAVE IT type nonsense thing even though the truth is much more complex than that
There's a good chance this would backfire since most people who aren't on TikTok hate it.
EastwoodS

« Reply #187 on: March 13, 2024, 12:38:51 PM »

The youth that can vote will care. I think Americans will also question why congress can pass a Tik Tok ban so quickly and then ignore every other issue and pass the fewest laws in decades. It really makes me not want to vote at all.
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #188 on: March 13, 2024, 12:47:05 PM »

Interesting that only 15 of the nay votes were Republicans, despite Trump coming out against the ban. Most of the no votes were from the progressive wing, especially younger reps like Sara Jacobs (major rising star vibes from her).

The present vote was Jasmine Crockett. She's already had several viral social media moments getting the GOP together. I quite like her as well.

Sarah Jacobs = Qualcomm heir

I suspect "progressive" acted as cover for "billionaire with the need to appease Xi"
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #189 on: March 13, 2024, 12:48:05 PM »

The youth that can vote will care. I think Americans will also question why congress can pass a Tik Tok ban so quickly and then ignore every other issue and pass the fewest laws in decades. It really makes me not want to vote at all.

It's sad if someone votes based on whether they can use Tiktok. Other social media platforms exist that aren't beholden to the CCP.

If ByteDance weren't collecting and using data from Americans for the CCP, it wouldn't have any problem storing the data in the US or divesting the app.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #190 on: March 13, 2024, 12:48:15 PM »

The youth are more complicated than that. They're the most likely demographic to waste their lives on social media but I believe they are also the most likely to be hostile to it or boycott it. Another thing that is being overstated is how much of TikTok actually consists of political crap. Most people on TikTok are sitting at home, mouth open, drooling as they watch 5 hours straight of 30-second clips of people cutting up blocks of kinetic sand. Not really the types of people you can count on to vote.
EastwoodS

« Reply #191 on: March 13, 2024, 01:10:08 PM »

It's sad if someone votes based on whether they can use Tiktok. Other social media platforms exist that aren't beholden to the CCP.

If ByteDance weren't collecting and using data from Americans for the CCP, it wouldn't have any problem storing the data in the US or divesting the app.
The point just went over your head, man.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #192 on: March 13, 2024, 01:12:15 PM »

No, I get you're blaming Biden despite the fact the mess in Congress is not on him. People will blame him anyway.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #193 on: March 13, 2024, 01:16:03 PM »

No, I get you're blaming Biden despite the fact the mess in Congress is not on him. People will blame him anyway.

Never assume lawyers are all that smart.
EastwoodS

« Reply #194 on: March 13, 2024, 01:16:17 PM »

sigh... I’m upset that congress can’t fix actual problems we care about and pass those type of laws in records times while they can easily and flawlessly come together to ban Tik tok with little resistance.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #195 on: March 13, 2024, 01:41:11 PM »

sigh... I’m upset that congress can’t fix actual problems we care about and pass those type of laws in records times while they can easily and flawlessly come together to ban Tik tok with little resistance.

To be fair, an adversarial sh-thole nation using a spyware app to stockpile the private data of American citizens is actually a pretty big problem. The eagerness of both parties to go forward with this, potential electoral consequences be damned, is probably a sign that the national security risk is more severe than a lot of us realize. I wish they went about this better, because we had an opportunity to use this situation as a justification for killing all social media surveillance at once, but whatever.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #196 on: March 13, 2024, 01:47:41 PM »

I'm sure Trump's 180 degree turnaround on a TikTok ban has nothing to do with Bytedance investor Jeff Yass donating to his campaign. Biden should go on the offense here and slam "Beijing Don".

EastwoodS

« Reply #197 on: March 13, 2024, 01:50:09 PM »

To be fair, an adversarial sh-thole nation using a spyware app to stockpile the private data of American citizens is actually a pretty big problem. The eagerness of both parties to go forward with this, potential electoral consequences be damned, is probably a sign that the national security risk is more severe than a lot of us realize. I wish they went about this better, because we had an opportunity to use this situation as a justification for killing all social media surveillance at once, but whatever.
I mean I’m not sure I agree with this as FB and IG sell all their data to sources that sell our information to Chinese and foreign governments anyways. I think the Donor class is salty that TiK Tok is a very “anti-corporate” “anti-middle level management” app that continuously sh**ts on the corporations and the ultra powerful so heavily that a few big names complained and made a few phones calls to get the app banned cause “we can’t have too much truth now, that’s too much up in here, get back to work slave..NO INDEPENDENT THINKING”
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -3.22

P P P
« Reply #198 on: March 13, 2024, 02:12:49 PM »

I use tiktok a good amount but I support the ban since there are so many existing and future alternatives. The ideal scenario is an American takeover like was proposed in 2020 but I guess that's not happening.
Rand
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #199 on: March 13, 2024, 02:15:51 PM »

If they ban TikTok AND the people who use it, America will advance 1,000 years overnight.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies