Israel-Gaza war (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:19:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel-Gaza war (search mode)
Thread note
MODERATOR WARNING: Any kind of inappropriate posts, including support for indiscriminate killing of civilians, and severe personal attacks against other posters will not be tolerated.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Israel-Gaza war  (Read 206974 times)
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: January 20, 2024, 05:45:39 PM »

Certainly she's not a dangerous terrorist

This is so awful. I wish there was something we in the West could do to help.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2024, 06:43:41 PM »

Imagine that you were able to face reality and elaborate an argument

This is so awful. I wish there was something we in the West could do to help.

We can exert pressure on our governments and representatives and hope something changes. Nothing will be achieved remaining silent

I do not get the sense that my elected representatives listen to me. I'll vote for Stein in November as an fu to Biden and the Democrats but, again, I can't help but feel that all of this is out of our hands.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2024, 09:48:55 AM »

Israel and USA now using A.I. to identify human targets in Gaza.

-snip-

Must suck to be Kevin's brother or son.

Police state implications of all this by the way are...amazing. I'm also wondering what is going to be the argument the Americans will use on how evil this is when the Russians or Chinese or someone else use it against people we like.

Yes, this is terrifying. How is it even possible to have a democracy if the state has these powers which it can deploy against dissent?
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2024, 09:16:45 PM »

I don't think it's terrifying at all.  I think you guys are being hysterical because you are sympathetic to the targets (allegedly, Hamas terrorists, but I'm sure you think they're innocent civilians).

If this kind of tech was used to track down and kill Osama bin Laden, we would probably all think it was awesome.

It almost certainly has been used to track down and kill the leaders of ISIS and other terror organizations that would have mass-slaughtered civilians in the Middle East if not deleted by the United States of America.

The name "Where's Daddy", assuming it's an accurate translation from Hebrew, is a poor one.  I get the idea that it's supposed to be about using children to track the locations of their parents, but it conjures up this image of a child crying "where's my daddy?" and an IDF soldier responding "ha ha daddy's not coming home anymore because we droned him".  This is typical of the Israeli government's endemic failure to understand the consequences of bad PR.  But we are talking about a government whose official state social media profiles often sound like the Wendy's twitter account.

Buddy do you really think AI can't make mistakes? Imagine this applies in the US. You could be completely unrelated to the actual target; if the AI makes a mistake you're a dead man.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2024, 08:12:20 AM »

Ah, yes, paywalled, unfortunately, but I can see enough. Looks like both sides have levied fairly extreme accusations against each other, and I'm sure there will be further investigations.

You can get around the paywall by pasting the URL into archive.is. Here is the unblocked article.

UNRWA: Israeli Army Forced Staff to Confess Ties to Hamas Using Torture
A report published by the UN agency for Palestinian refugees includes accounts by its staff members who were detained in Israel of being threatened and coerced to make false confessions that agency staffers took part in the October 7 Hamas attacks

UNRWA, the United Nations agency for Palestinian refugees, accused Israeli security forces of using torture to extract false confessions from its employees about their ties to Hamas.

A report published by the agency Tuesday includes accounts by detainees working for the agency of abuse that included beatings by interrogators and doctors working with the military, as well as attacks by dogs and threats of rape and murder.

According to UNRWA, over 1,506 detainees from the Gaza Strip have been released from IDF custody after being interrogated, including 23 UNRWA staff and 16 family members of UNRWA staff.

In recent months, Israel has claimed that at least 30 UNRWA employees participated in the October 7 Hamas attack. In the wake of the accusations, some 20 countries and institutions suspended funding to the agency, but some of them have since resumed their support.

According to the report, UNRWA staff members detained by Israel were pressured to confess that agency staffers took part in the October 7 attacks. The abuse, which involved threats and coercion, included "treatment akin to waterboarding," according to the report.

According to data in the report, among the detainees who were released through the Kerem Shalom crossing into the Gaza Strip, without facing prosecution, were 43 minors and 84 women. According to the agency, they were interrogated several times prior to their release from Shin Bet custody.

Detainees described having all items in their possession at the time of their arrest confiscated, including identification documents and money. According to data obtained by Haaretz, 27 Gazan detainees have died in military facilities in Israel since the start of the war. It is not known, however, how many of them were suffering from health problems or from injuries due to the war before their arrest.

Most of the Gazans arrested by Israel are detained under the Unlawful Combatants Law, which permits the detention without trial of anyone who participated in hostile activity who is not classified by Israel as a prisoner of war.

In December, the cabinet approved an amendment to the law that degrades the conditions in which detainees may be held, and allows detainees suspected of involvement in terrorism to be held for 75 days without being brought before a judge.

In a report published by the UN refugee agency last month, it was claimed that Gazan detainees, of whom at least 1,000 civilians were released, were held in three military detention facilities in Israel, where they were beaten, robbed, stripped, sexually assaulted, blindfolded and denied access to doctors and lawyers, sometimes for more than a month.

The IDF submitted the following response: "We cannot respond to the testimonies mentioned in the report individually without the full details of the detainees and verification that they were held in IDF detention facilities.

During the fighting in the Gaza Strip, Palestinians suspected of terrorist activity are detained. The relevant suspects are taken for further detention and questioning in Israeli territory. Those who appear not to be involved in terrorist activity are released back to the Gaza Strip.

The interrogations are carried out in accordance with Israeli and international law while protecting the rights of detainees held in detention and interrogation facilities.

Inappropriate behavior towards detainees in detention and interrogation contravenes IDF orders and values. Any allegation of misconduct by IDF soldiers is investigated and dealt with accordingly. In appropriate cases, investigations are opened by the Military Police's Investigations Unit when there is a suspicion of inappropriate behavior.

The IDF rejects claims that it coerces detainees into giving false confessions. In addition, the IDF rejects allegations of systematic and deliberate abuse of detainees, including sexual abuse, in the detention and interrogation facilities under its responsibility. Allegations of sexual abuse are intended to create a false comparison to the systematic and cruel rapes committed by Hamas. It should be emphasized that so far not a single complaint has been submitted regarding sexual abuse of detainees by IDF soldiers, and as stated, the allegations cannot be clarified without providing the detainees' identifying details."
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies