Israel-Gaza war
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 02:21:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel-Gaza war
« previous next »
Thread note
MODERATOR WARNING: Any kind of inappropriate posts, including support for indiscriminate killing of civilians, and severe personal attacks against other posters will not be tolerated.

Pages: 1 ... 275 276 277 278 279 [280] 281 282 283 284 285 286
Author Topic: Israel-Gaza war  (Read 194619 times)
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6975 on: April 25, 2024, 08:01:25 AM »

Interesting, the Scholz gov is extremely pro Israel.

That tweet is wildly inaccurate, but essentially Germany basically just said "Evidence isn't quite conclusive enough, so we're resuming funding".

No, Israel lied and you stand with war criminals who should face a firing squad ASAP.

Well, I certainly don't have to wonder which side you were on in England in 2019.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #6976 on: April 25, 2024, 08:30:48 AM »

Do Israelis on the ground actually understand the severity of their isolation? Do they care or is their media just as bad as ours?

Several of Israel's top historical enemies just united to defend it from an air assault after being pressured diplomatically by some of the most powerful countries in the world.

That is indeed quite true.

I suppose the question is if they extracted any price for agreeing to do that.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6977 on: April 25, 2024, 08:33:47 AM »

Do Israelis on the ground actually understand the severity of their isolation? Do they care or is their media just as bad as ours?

Several of Israel's top historical enemies just united to defend it from an air assault after being pressured diplomatically by some of the most powerful countries in the world.

That is indeed quite true.

I suppose the question is if they extracted any price for agreeing to do that.

It's possible, but it seems like if anything the Rafah invasion has gotten closer.

While opposition to Israel has certainly gotten louder (and more violent) it doesn't actually seem to have caused any major diplomatic fallout outside of a few far-left countries far away from the conflict.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #6978 on: April 25, 2024, 08:37:38 AM »

We shall see, I suppose.

Some (eg in their media) assured us that Israel was going to respond "massively" to the Iranian aerial incursions, but that hasn't happened as of yet. Which alone makes me think of a quid pro quo.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6979 on: April 25, 2024, 08:51:01 AM »

We shall see, I suppose.

Some (eg in their media) assured us that Israel was going to respond "massively" to the Iranian aerial incursions, but that hasn't happened as of yet. Which alone makes me think of a quid pro quo.

In terms of that directly, yeah - the US itself made very clear it didn't want to see a full war in Iran in response, and Israel found a pretty compelling way to send a message instead.
Wiswylfen
eadmund

Political Matrix
E: -2.32, S: 4.17

« Reply #6980 on: April 25, 2024, 08:51:42 AM »

Interesting, the Scholz gov is extremely pro Israel.

That tweet is wildly inaccurate, but essentially Germany basically just said "Evidence isn't quite conclusive enough, so we're resuming funding".

No, Israel lied and you stand with war criminals who should face a firing squad ASAP.

Well, I certainly don't have to wonder which side you were on in England in 2019.

I was a Corbynsceptic funnily enough. Thinking genocide is bad is hardly the preserve of the Jam Man and his supporters.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6981 on: April 25, 2024, 10:48:37 AM »

It seems Netanyahu's gamble worked. The confrontation with Iran and its conclusion seemed to have taken western media's attention off the humanitarian crisis in Gaza. Just as I predicted.

Why else would Bibi want to antagonize Iran at the worst possible time?
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #6982 on: April 25, 2024, 05:47:58 PM »

It seems Netanyahu's gamble worked. The confrontation with Iran and its conclusion seemed to have taken western media's attention off the humanitarian crisis in Gaza. Just as I predicted.

Perfect.

Send in the hoplites. Let's finish the job.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #6983 on: April 25, 2024, 06:09:24 PM »

Perfect.

Send in the hoplites. Let's finish the job.
The glee you hold for the inevitable massacre of Palestinians isn't surprising
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #6984 on: April 25, 2024, 07:50:03 PM »

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6985 on: April 25, 2024, 08:19:11 PM »

David Rothkopf is a registered foreign agent of the UAE
MyLifeIsYours
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.74, S: -6.61

« Reply #6986 on: April 25, 2024, 09:08:06 PM »

Heart wrenching interview with Ghassan Abu Sitta, a worker at the Al-Shifa hospital, who said how Israel targeted the innocent children, how the Western media is complicit in the lies told about Al-Shifa. Give it a watch.

Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #6987 on: April 25, 2024, 09:10:57 PM »
« Edited: April 25, 2024, 09:15:10 PM by Meclazine for Israel »

Yes, can't see any potential drawbacks or problems with war mostly conducted by AI.

None at all.

Well done to all the galaxy brains on this thread who are just fine with it.

Not sure if there are likely to be more inaccuracies from human error or algorithm error, TBH.

The best situation would probably be an AI program sorting through mass amounts of data and human eyes giving it the once-over before greenlighting action.

That is essentially what they are doing. Two main things have changed since our latest wars of the 20th century.

1. A.I. will generate targets for the military through capturing vast amounts of data for analysis.

Once a target is generated, the US has "Around the World" coverage, so essentially, a B1 or B-52 bomber can take off from the Diego Islands in the Indian Ocean or Spain and flatten anywhere in the Middle East within 3 hours.

2. The military needs a social media presence, or in the case of Azerbaijan, a heavy metal video on YouTube:

Azerbaijan Army Military Music

Ates Alxanli Yasar Baxis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-Zn7yqYkl0

I would think twice before attacking that army. The bass player and drummer are tight. The harmonised guitar solo on the Ernie Ball Musicman is over the top.
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #6988 on: April 25, 2024, 11:09:45 PM »

certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6989 on: April 25, 2024, 11:33:03 PM »

Israel subjects UN workers to torture

"Israel is abusing UNRWA employees detained in Gaza in order to extract forced confessions against the agency, with detainees describing being subjected to acts of torture.

The forced confessions are likely to be used by Israel in an attempt to incriminate UNRWA, the United Nations agency for Palestine refugees. Israel is seeking to starve UNRWA out of existence through smears and unsubstantiated allegations aimed at drying up the agency’s voluntary funding.

Philippe Lazzarini, the head of the embattled agency, told the UN Security Council on Wednesday that Israel continues to block the provision of life-saving aid as part of its 'Insidious campaign' to push UNRWA out of the West Bank and Gaza Strip...."

"...UNRWA staff released from Israeli detention told their employer that in addition to ill treatment that may amount to torture, they were “subjected to threats and coercion” and pressure during interrogations to incriminate the agency.

These “forced confessions against the agency [included] that the agency has affiliations with Hamas and that UNRWA staff took part in the 7 October attacks against Israel.”

According to UNRWA, some staff members were “detained during the performance of their official duties for the UN, including while working at UNRWA installations and in one case during a coordinated humanitarian movement.”

Detained UNRWA staff were subjected to a litany of abuses, they say, such as beatings, including by doctors, attacks by dogs and threats of rape and electrocution. The agency said that its employees underwent treatment akin to waterboarding and had guns pointed at them.

UNRWA staff also experienced “verbal and psychological abuse; threats of murder, injury or harm to family members; humiliating and degrading treatment; being forced to strip naked and being photographed while they are undressed; and being forced to hold stress positions...”

https://electronicintifada.net/blogs/maureen-clare-murphy/israel-subjects-un-workers-torture

AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

« Reply #6990 on: April 25, 2024, 11:37:19 PM »

It's funny how some of you people say that you shouldn't judge the many based upon the actions of a few, yet conveniently throw out this principle when it comes to UN programs for Filastin just because of Israeli butthurt
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6991 on: April 25, 2024, 11:39:33 PM »

If I wanted my accusations to be taken seriously, I would simply not use an outlet named after a mass murder pogrom.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #6992 on: April 25, 2024, 11:47:00 PM »

It's funny how some of you people say that you shouldn't judge the many based upon the actions of a few, yet conveniently throw out this principle when it comes to UN programs for Filastin just because of Israeli butthurt

I take at whatever the opposite of face value is the idea that Israel is randomly kidnapping UN employees as collective punishment, if that's what you mean to imply.
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

« Reply #6993 on: April 25, 2024, 11:52:40 PM »
« Edited: April 25, 2024, 11:59:21 PM by FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦 »

If I wanted my accusations to be taken seriously, I would simply not use an outlet named after a mass murder pogrom.

Fair enough, is this more suitable for your liking Ray?

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/2024-04-17/ty-article/.premium/unrwa-israeli-army-forced-staff-to-confess-ties-to-hamas-using-torture/0000018e-ed4f-d5d5-a59f-ef5f32280000
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6994 on: April 26, 2024, 12:06:00 AM »

Ah, yes, paywalled, unfortunately, but I can see enough. Looks like both sides have levied fairly extreme accusations against each other, and I'm sure there will be further investigations.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #6995 on: April 26, 2024, 07:14:43 AM »
« Edited: April 26, 2024, 07:17:56 AM by Meclazine for Israel »

Have noticed over the last week (in Australia), conversations involving a pro-active attempt to avoid any news about US University students with pink hair, a face mask and tea towels around their neck chanting "Go Back To Poland".

The PEW Institute noticed an increasing lack of interest in the conflict last month.

https://www.pewresearch.org/2024/03/21/emotions-news-and-knowledge-about-the-israel-hamas-war/

"about half of U.S. adults can correctly answer a question that tests their factual knowledge by asking whether the number of deaths in the war, so far, is higher among Palestinians or among Israelis."

The protesting US students are a public relations nightmare for the Palestinian-Hamas cause.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #6996 on: April 26, 2024, 08:12:13 AM »

If both Hamas and Bibi take massive reputational damage as a result of this mindless war, that is the best possible silver lining really. Maybe this really is rock bottom.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6997 on: April 26, 2024, 08:12:20 AM »

Ah, yes, paywalled, unfortunately, but I can see enough. Looks like both sides have levied fairly extreme accusations against each other, and I'm sure there will be further investigations.

You can get around the paywall by pasting the URL into archive.is. Here is the unblocked article.

UNRWA: Israeli Army Forced Staff to Confess Ties to Hamas Using Torture
A report published by the UN agency for Palestinian refugees includes accounts by its staff members who were detained in Israel of being threatened and coerced to make false confessions that agency staffers took part in the October 7 Hamas attacks

UNRWA, the United Nations agency for Palestinian refugees, accused Israeli security forces of using torture to extract false confessions from its employees about their ties to Hamas.

A report published by the agency Tuesday includes accounts by detainees working for the agency of abuse that included beatings by interrogators and doctors working with the military, as well as attacks by dogs and threats of rape and murder.

According to UNRWA, over 1,506 detainees from the Gaza Strip have been released from IDF custody after being interrogated, including 23 UNRWA staff and 16 family members of UNRWA staff.

In recent months, Israel has claimed that at least 30 UNRWA employees participated in the October 7 Hamas attack. In the wake of the accusations, some 20 countries and institutions suspended funding to the agency, but some of them have since resumed their support.

According to the report, UNRWA staff members detained by Israel were pressured to confess that agency staffers took part in the October 7 attacks. The abuse, which involved threats and coercion, included "treatment akin to waterboarding," according to the report.

According to data in the report, among the detainees who were released through the Kerem Shalom crossing into the Gaza Strip, without facing prosecution, were 43 minors and 84 women. According to the agency, they were interrogated several times prior to their release from Shin Bet custody.

Detainees described having all items in their possession at the time of their arrest confiscated, including identification documents and money. According to data obtained by Haaretz, 27 Gazan detainees have died in military facilities in Israel since the start of the war. It is not known, however, how many of them were suffering from health problems or from injuries due to the war before their arrest.

Most of the Gazans arrested by Israel are detained under the Unlawful Combatants Law, which permits the detention without trial of anyone who participated in hostile activity who is not classified by Israel as a prisoner of war.

In December, the cabinet approved an amendment to the law that degrades the conditions in which detainees may be held, and allows detainees suspected of involvement in terrorism to be held for 75 days without being brought before a judge.

In a report published by the UN refugee agency last month, it was claimed that Gazan detainees, of whom at least 1,000 civilians were released, were held in three military detention facilities in Israel, where they were beaten, robbed, stripped, sexually assaulted, blindfolded and denied access to doctors and lawyers, sometimes for more than a month.

The IDF submitted the following response: "We cannot respond to the testimonies mentioned in the report individually without the full details of the detainees and verification that they were held in IDF detention facilities.

During the fighting in the Gaza Strip, Palestinians suspected of terrorist activity are detained. The relevant suspects are taken for further detention and questioning in Israeli territory. Those who appear not to be involved in terrorist activity are released back to the Gaza Strip.

The interrogations are carried out in accordance with Israeli and international law while protecting the rights of detainees held in detention and interrogation facilities.

Inappropriate behavior towards detainees in detention and interrogation contravenes IDF orders and values. Any allegation of misconduct by IDF soldiers is investigated and dealt with accordingly. In appropriate cases, investigations are opened by the Military Police's Investigations Unit when there is a suspicion of inappropriate behavior.

The IDF rejects claims that it coerces detainees into giving false confessions. In addition, the IDF rejects allegations of systematic and deliberate abuse of detainees, including sexual abuse, in the detention and interrogation facilities under its responsibility. Allegations of sexual abuse are intended to create a false comparison to the systematic and cruel rapes committed by Hamas. It should be emphasized that so far not a single complaint has been submitted regarding sexual abuse of detainees by IDF soldiers, and as stated, the allegations cannot be clarified without providing the detainees' identifying details."
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6998 on: April 26, 2024, 09:01:58 AM »

If both Hamas and Bibi take massive reputational damage as a result of this mindless war, that is the best possible silver lining really. Maybe this really is rock bottom.
I'm sure the 33k dead Palestinians and their families agree

And the thousands of now disabled, wounded, starving, sick and traumatized also agree. As long as the twin evils of Hamas and Netanyahu are seen taking  reputational damage it was all worth it!
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #6999 on: April 26, 2024, 09:10:16 AM »

You do know what the phrase "silver lining" means, one presumes?

There's certainly no denying that it is a very big black cloud.
Pages: 1 ... 275 276 277 278 279 [280] 281 282 283 284 285 286  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies