Israel-Gaza war
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 03:46:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel-Gaza war
« previous next »
Thread note
MODERATOR WARNING: Any kind of inappropriate posts, including support for indiscriminate killing of civilians, and severe personal attacks against other posters will not be tolerated.

Pages: 1 ... 278 279 280 281 282 [283] 284 285 286 287 288 ... 294
Author Topic: Israel-Gaza war  (Read 206931 times)
MyLifeIsYours
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.74, S: -6.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7050 on: April 29, 2024, 04:11:50 PM »

Quote from: Democracy Now

On Friday, an Israeli airstrike in Gaza City killed the daughter and grandson of the prominent Palestinian poet Refaat Alareer, who was killed in an Israeli airstrike in December. Shaima Refaat Alareer died Friday along with her husband and 2-month-old son. Shaima had recently written a message on Facebook addressed to her late father, writing, “I have a beautiful news for you, I wish I could convey it to you while you are in front of me, I present to you your first grandchild. Do you know, my father, that you have become a grandfather? This is your grandson Abd al-Rahman whom I have long imagined you carrying, but I never imagined that I would lose you early even before you see him.” The website Electronic Intifada reports Shaima Refaat Alareer and her family were killed while sheltering in the building of Global Communities, an international relief charity.

https://www.democracynow.org/2024/4/29/headlines/israeli_airstrike_kills_daughter_grandson_and_son_in_law_of_acclaimed_poet_refaat_alareer

R.I.P. to the Alareer family.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7051 on: April 29, 2024, 04:57:39 PM »

On Friday, an Israeli airstrike in Gaza City killed the daughter and grandson of the prominent Palestinian poet Refaat Alareer, who was killed in an Israeli airstrike in December. Shaima Refaat Alareer died Friday along with her husband and 2-month-old son. Shaima had recently written a message on Facebook addressed to her late father, writing, “I have a beautiful news for you, I wish I could convey it to you while you are in front of me, I present to you your first grandchild. Do you know, my father, that you have become a grandfather? This is your grandson Abd al-Rahman whom I have long imagined you carrying, but I never imagined that I would lose you early even before you see him.” The website Electronic Intifada reports Shaima Refaat Alareer and her family were killed while sheltering in the building of Global Communities, an international relief charity.

https://www.democracynow.org/2024/4/29/headlines/israeli_airstrike_kills_daughter_grandson_and_son_in_law_of_acclaimed_poet_refaat_alareer

Imagine actually considering Electronic Intifada a credible source Roll Eyes
MyLifeIsYours
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7052 on: April 29, 2024, 05:03:43 PM »

Democracy Now is a credible news source and that's where I gather the information.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7053 on: April 29, 2024, 05:10:28 PM »

Democracy Now is a credible news source and that's where I gather the information.

Your excerpt says they got it from Electric Intifada which doesn’t speak well of their credibility
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7054 on: April 29, 2024, 05:28:31 PM »

I’m just so happy that Palestinians have so many good faith advocates for them like Democracy Now. Like could you imagine if there was another conflict that was really black and white involving genocide as well but Democracy Now defended the aggressors because they’re anti-America? Man that’d be really depressing wouldn’t it?
MyLifeIsYours
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7055 on: April 29, 2024, 05:37:55 PM »
« Edited: April 29, 2024, 05:51:27 PM by MyLifeIsYours »

From Amy Goodman Wikipedia page:

Quote from: Wikipedia
Goodman has received awards for her work, including the Robert F. Kennedy Prize for International Reporting (1993, with Allan Nairn)and the George Polk Award (1998, with Jeremy Scahill). In 1999, she declined to accept the Overseas Press Club Award, in protest at the group's pledge not to ask questions of keynote speaker Ambassador Richard Holbrooke and because the OPC was honoring Indonesia for its improved treatment of journalists despite the fact that its forces had recently beaten and killed reporters in occupied East Timor.

She received the 2001 Joe A. Callaway Award for Civic Courage.

On October 2, 2004, she was presented the Islamic Community Award for Journalism by the Council on American-Islamic Relations.On November 18, 2004, she was presented the Thomas Merton Award. In 2006, she received the Puffin/Nation Prize for Creative Citizenship.

Goodman was a recipient of the 2008 Right Livelihood Award. The Right Livelihood Award Foundation cited her work in "developing an innovative model of truly independent grassroots political journalism that brings to millions of people the alternative voices that are often excluded by the mainstream media".

On March 31, 2009, Goodman, with Glenn Greenwald, received the first Izzy Award (named after journalist I. F. "Izzy" Stone) for "special achievement in independent media". The award is presented by Ithaca College's Park Center for Independent Media.

In May 2012, she received an honorary Doctor of Letters degree from DePauw University in recognition of her journalistic work. She also received the Gandhi Peace Award from Promoting Enduring Peace, for a "significant contribution to the promotion of an enduring international peace".

On May 16, 2014, she received an honorary Doctor of Letters degree from Purchase College, SUNY in recognition of her progressive journalism.

In February 2015, she (and Laura Poitras) received the 2014 I.F. Stone Lifetime Achievement Award from the Nieman Foundation for Journalism at Harvard.
In 2016, Goodman and Democracy Now! (along with Laura Gottesdiener, John Hamilton and Denis Moynihan) received a Sigma Delta Chi Award for excellence in journalism from the Society of Professional Journalists in the category of Breaking News Coverage (Network/Syndication Service/Program Service) for their piece, “Standoff at Standing Rock: Epic Native resistance to Dakota Access Pipeline.”

On February 14, 2019, she, and others, received the Frederick Douglass 200 award and was honored at the Library of Congress in Washington, D.C. The Frederick Douglass 200 award is a project of the Frederick Douglass Family Initiatives and the Antiracist Research and Policy Center at American University in Washington D.C. In October of 2023, the NY Peace Action Network recognized her with the William Sloane Coffin "Peacemaker Award"

Shows a good deal of journalistic credibility from Goodman through the years. She has been reporting stories that have been neglected by the corporate media conglomates who would rather distract audiences with trivial nonsense and sensationalism. She is a gold mine in the field of American journalism.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7056 on: April 29, 2024, 05:56:55 PM »

Goodman has received awards for her work, including the Robert F. Kennedy Prize for International Reporting (1993, with Allan Nairn)and the George Polk Award (1998, with Jeremy Scahill). In 1999, she declined to accept the Overseas Press Club Award, in protest at the group's pledge not to ask questions of keynote speaker Ambassador Richard Holbrooke and because the OPC was honoring Indonesia for its improved treatment of journalists despite the fact that its forces had recently beaten and killed reporters in occupied East Timor.

On October 2, 2004, she was presented the Islamic Community Award for Journalism by the Council on American-Islamic Relations.On November 18, 2004, she was presented the Thomas Merton Award. In 2006, she received the Puffin/Nation Prize for Creative Citizenship.

Goodman was a recipient of the 2008 Right Livelihood Award. The Right Livelihood Award Foundation cited her work in "developing an innovative model of truly independent grassroots political journalism that brings to millions of people the alternative voices that are often excluded by the mainstream media".

On March 31, 2009, Goodman, with Glenn Greenwald, received the first Izzy Award (named after journalist I. F. "Izzy" Stone) for "special achievement in independent media". The award is presented by Ithaca College's Park Center for Independent Media.

In May 2012, she received an honorary Doctor of Letters degree from DePauw University in recognition of her journalistic work. She also received the Gandhi Peace Award from Promoting Enduring Peace, for a "significant contribution to the promotion of an enduring international peace".

On May 16, 2014, she received an honorary Doctor of Letters degree from Purchase College, SUNY in recognition of her progressive journalism.

In February 2015, she (and Laura Poitras) received the 2014 I.F. Stone Lifetime Achievement Award from the Nieman Foundation for Journalism at Harvard.
In 2016, Goodman and Democracy Now! (along with Laura Gottesdiener, John Hamilton and Denis Moynihan) received a Sigma Delta Chi Award for excellence in journalism from the Society of Professional Journalists in the category of Breaking News Coverage (Network/Syndication Service/Program Service) for their piece, “Standoff at Standing Rock: Epic Native resistance to Dakota Access Pipeline.”

On February 14, 2019, she, and others, received the Frederick Douglass 200 award and was honored at the Library of Congress in Washington, D.C. The Frederick Douglass 200 award is a project of the Frederick Douglass Family Initiatives and the Antiracist Research and Policy Center at American University in Washington D.C. In October of 2023, the NY Peace Action Network recognized her with the William Sloane Coffin "Peacemaker Award"

Shows a good deal of journalistic credibility from Goodman through the years. She has been reporting stories that have been neglected by the corporate media conglomates who would rather distract audiences with trivial nonsense and sensationalism. She is a gold mine in the field of American journalism.
Agreed thank goodness she didn’t have a history of covering a different genocidal war by giving platforms to kooks to victim blame the oppressed side with no push back or it would make alot of this stuff she does on Palestine seem shallow
MyLifeIsYours
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7057 on: April 29, 2024, 06:28:14 PM »

Agreed thank goodness she didn’t have a history of covering a different genocidal war by giving platforms to kooks to victim blame the oppressed side with no push back or it would make alot of this stuff she does on Palestine seem shallow

Democracy Now gives voices calling for peace, love, and understanding. They have a consistent record that backs up their reporting while the corporate media bangs the drums for war around the world. Look at CNN and their disgraceful coverage of the genocide in Gaza. All CNN does is parrot to the lies coming out of the Jerusalem bearu. With the coverage of Democracy Now you will br hearing the platform for voice of the voiceless.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7058 on: April 29, 2024, 07:01:26 PM »

Democracy Now gives voices calling for peace, love, and understanding. They have a consistent record that backs up their reporting while the corporate media bangs the drums for war around the world. Look at CNN and their disgraceful coverage of the genocide in Gaza. All CNN does is parrot to the lies coming out of the Jerusalem bearu. With the coverage of Democracy Now you will br hearing the platform for voice of the voiceless.

Good thing that they don’t have a history of defending a genocidal war of aggression because the perpetrators are anti-US. Would make everything you’re saying come off as empty buzzwords
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7059 on: April 29, 2024, 07:51:35 PM »

Democracy Now!  is basically just the Green Party.  Most of their guests are either Green Party figures, leftie communist types, or anti-American professors/journalists/pundits like Chomsky.

Just like the Green Party they are very talented at dressing up anti-Americanism in the guise of human rights and peace and love and social justice.  Just don't ask about how any of those concepts are handled by the actual groups fighting against America... it doesn't matter because of the David and Goliath framing.  It's very easy to just always say America isn't good enough and should be better, and therefore because America isn't good enough it is the bad guy, and anyone fighting America is the good guy.

You are the mark, and if you got snookered by it then, you know, all too easy.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7060 on: April 29, 2024, 08:15:01 PM »

If they were truly for peace, love and understanding they wouldn't be so disgustingly anti Ukraine.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7061 on: April 29, 2024, 08:20:07 PM »
« Edited: April 29, 2024, 09:03:33 PM by President Punxsutawney Phil »

If they were truly for peace, love and understanding they wouldn't be so disgustingly anti Ukraine.
[/quote]
On what basis are you calling them anti-Ukraine?
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7062 on: April 29, 2024, 08:41:51 PM »

You guys truly do not need to quote the entire reply stack every time you respond to this conversation that at this point is at best only tangentially related to the thread.

How many times has Amy Goodman's Wikipedia page now been copy+pasted into this thread?  A dozen?
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7063 on: April 29, 2024, 08:55:50 PM »

CNN: "Hamas to consider ceasefire-hostage release proposal that Israeli sources say could avert Rafah invasion"

"The latest proposal, which Israel helped craft but has not fully agreed to, is laid out in two phases, the first of which calls for 20 to 33 hostages to be released over several weeks in exchange for the pause and the release of Palestinian prisoners. The second phase is what sources described as the “restoration of sustainable calm,” during which the remaining hostages, captive Israeli soldiers and the bodies of hostages would be exchanged for more Palestinian prisoners.

The diplomatic source familiar with the talks said the reference to sustainable calm was “a way to agree to a permanent ceasefire without calling it that.”"
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7064 on: April 29, 2024, 09:03:44 PM »

You guys truly do not need to quote the entire reply stack every time you respond to this conversation that at this point is at best only tangentially related to the thread.

How many times has Amy Goodman's Wikipedia page now been copy+pasted into this thread?  A dozen?
Edited.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #7065 on: April 29, 2024, 09:53:39 PM »

CNN: "Hamas to consider ceasefire-hostage release proposal that Israeli sources say could avert Rafah invasion"

"The latest proposal, which Israel helped craft but has not fully agreed to, is laid out in two phases, the first of which calls for 20 to 33 hostages to be released over several weeks in exchange for the pause and the release of Palestinian prisoners. The second phase is what sources described as the “restoration of sustainable calm,” during which the remaining hostages, captive Israeli soldiers and the bodies of hostages would be exchanged for more Palestinian prisoners.

The diplomatic source familiar with the talks said the reference to sustainable calm was “a way to agree to a permanent ceasefire without calling it that.”"

I hope this finally puts an end to this for awhile (I would say permanently, but that would just be deluding myself).
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #7066 on: April 30, 2024, 03:09:35 AM »

I hope this finally puts an end to this for awhile (I would say permanently, but that would just be deluding myself).

Of course, we're dealing with a Prime Minister who wants conflict to continue as long as possible so he can stay in power and a violent terrorist organisation that openly celebrates murdering civilians; I don't hold much hope here.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #7067 on: April 30, 2024, 08:54:41 AM »

Except that both sides are apparently seriously considering it nonetheless.

Maybe even they are getting sick of the war now, we live in hope.
Wiswylfen
eadmund

Political Matrix
E: -2.32, S: 4.17

« Reply #7068 on: April 30, 2024, 11:48:12 AM »

Love the fact G-Mac, one of the many D-NJ avatars, and Mr X are in agreement with a post that explicitly calls Israel’s war in Gaza genocidal.

Anyway is anyone actually saying they’re not dead? Because otherwise, sure, great discussion, shame it just seems like a poor attempt to deflect from the world’s most moral army deliberately killing babies (again).
MyLifeIsYours
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7069 on: April 30, 2024, 03:26:42 PM »

UN Chief alarmed by mass graves, calls for an independent investigation.

NEW YORK, Tuesday, April 30, 2024 (WAFA) - United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres expressed deep alarm at reports that mass graves have been uncovered in several locations in Gaza, including Al-Shifa Medical Complex and Nasser Medical Complex.

"It is imperative that independent international investigators, with forensic expertise, are allowed immediate access to the sites of these mass graves to establish the precise circumstances under which hundreds of Palestinians lost their lives and were buried, or reburied," Guterres told reporters in New York.

He said the health system in Gaza has been decimated by the war, adding that two-thirds of hospitals and health centers are out of action; stressing that many of those that remain are seriously damaged.

"Some hospitals now resemble cemeteries," the UN Secretary-General said. "In Nasser alone, over 390 bodies have reportedly been exhumed."

There are competing narratives around several of these mass graves, including serious allegations that some of those buried were unlawfully killed, he said.

The UN Chief affirmed that hospitals, health workers, patients and all civilians must be protected and the human rights of all must be respected.

"I have called consistently for a humanitarian ceasefire, the immediate and unconditional release of all hostages, and a massive surge in humanitarian aid. Unfortunately, that has not happened yet," he said.

"Without that, I fear the war, with all its consequences both in Gaza and across the region, will worsen exponentially,” adding that the recent weeks have seen airstrikes on the Rafah area.

A military assault on Rafah would be an unbearable escalation, killing thousands more civilians and forcing hundreds of thousands to flee, the UN Secretary-General said, adding it would have a devastating impact on Palestinians in Gaza, with serious repercussions on the occupied West Bank, and across the wider region.

He noted that all members of the UN Security Council and many other governments have clearly expressed their opposition to such an operation, appealing for all those with influence over Israel to do everything in their power to prevent it.

"More than 1.2 million people are now seeking shelter in Rafah governorate, most of them fleeing the Israeli bombardment that has reportedly killed over 34,000 people. They have very little to eat, hardly any access to medical care, little shelter and nowhere safe to go," he said.

"In northern Gaza, the most vulnerable – from sick children to people with disabilities – are already dying of hunger and disease," Guterres said, noting: "We must do everything possible to avert an entirely preventable, human-made famine."

He noted that a major obstacle to distributing aid across Gaza is the lack of security for humanitarians and the people we serve, pointing out that humanitarian convoys, facilities and personnel, and the people in need, must not be targets.

"We welcome aid delivery by air and sea, but there is no alternative to the massive use of land routes. I again call on the Israeli authorities to allow and facilitate safe, rapid and unimpeded access for humanitarian aid and humanitarian workers, including UNRWA, throughout Gaza," he added.

"We recognize the irreplaceable and indispensable work of UNRWA to support millions of people in Gaza, the occupied West Bank including East Jerusalem, Jordan, Syria and Lebanon," the UN Secretary-General said.

"Some Member States are giving to UNRWA for the first time and the generosity of private donors around the world is also heartening and unprecedented. But we still have a funding gap," he said.

He called on Member States, both traditional and new donors, to pledge funds generously to ensure the continuity of the agency’s operations.

The UN Secretary-General said UNRWA’s presence across the region is a source of hope and stability, noting that its education, healthcare and other services provide a sense of normality, safety and stability to desperate communities.

Speaking about Israeli colonies in the West Bank, the UN Chief said colonies are illegal in themselves and constitute an obstacle to peace and to the two-state solution.

Not only colonies are illegal, but the violence of colonists has been one of the most serious aggravating factors of the very dramatic situation that we have now in the West Bank, he stressed. “And obviously, this should also be a matter that would deserve full accountability.”

He affirmed that the two-state solution is the only sustainable path to peace and security for Israelis, Palestinians, and the wider region.

"The United Nations is totally committed to supporting a pathway to peace, based on an end to the occupation and the establishment of a fully independent, democratic, viable, contiguous and sovereign Palestinian State, with Gaza as an integral part," the UN Secretary-General said.
https://english.wafa.ps/Pages/Details/143629

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #7070 on: April 30, 2024, 03:34:26 PM »

"Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu announced Tuesday that Israel will invade Rafah in the southern Gaza Strip, even if Hamas agrees to the latest Israeli proposal for a cease-fire.

“The idea that we will halt the war before achieving all of its goals is out of the question,” Netanyahu said, at a meeting with representatives of families of people taken hostage by the Palestinian militant group.

“We will enter Rafah and we will eliminate the Hamas battalions there — with or without a deal, in order to achieve the total victory,” he added."

https://www.politico.eu/article/israel-going-to-invade-rafah-regardless-of-hostage-deal-says-benjamin-netanyahu/
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7071 on: April 30, 2024, 03:35:16 PM »

"Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu announced Tuesday that Israel will invade Rafah in the southern Gaza Strip, even if Hamas agrees to the latest Israeli proposal for a cease-fire.

“The idea that we will halt the war before achieving all of its goals is out of the question,” Netanyahu said, at a meeting with representatives of families of people taken hostage by the Palestinian militant group.

“We will enter Rafah and we will eliminate the Hamas battalions there — with or without a deal, in order to achieve the total victory,” he added."

https://www.politico.eu/article/israel-going-to-invade-rafah-regardless-of-hostage-deal-says-benjamin-netanyahu/

I mean, Netanyahu has never wanted a deal. He wants as much blood as possible. This should surprise no one.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7072 on: April 30, 2024, 04:13:07 PM »

Bastard
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #7073 on: April 30, 2024, 04:19:24 PM »
« Edited: April 30, 2024, 05:57:40 PM by Progressive Pessimist »

For f***'s sake! Hamas cannot be "destroyed."

All that's been literally destroyed (other than Gaza and the lives of its residents) is Israel's reputation.

If there is a deal, and all hostages are released, the priority should be rebuilding Gaza. Keep security around the border if necessary, but this needs to end.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #7074 on: April 30, 2024, 06:22:39 PM »

I have said it before, and I will say it again. Netanyahu is not interested in peace; he just wants to destroy, crush and kill.
Pages: 1 ... 278 279 280 281 282 [283] 284 285 286 287 288 ... 294  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies