Redistricter Discussion and Map Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 04:06:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Redistricter Discussion and Map Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Redistricter Discussion and Map Thread  (Read 4440 times)
kwabbit

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: April 11, 2024, 05:48:02 PM »

Is redistricter better optimized/does it run faster? I love it but one of the reasons I didn't renew it was that is was very slow, laggy and prone to crashing on chrome.

That’s definitely the biggest downside vs. DRA. It works better on a fast computer (obviously), but there’s also some tricks. I’ve found that selecting precincts via the box tool causes way less lag than individually clicking or using the brush. The only state where I have crashing is California, but that’s slow af on DRA as well.
redistricter
Rookie
United States
« Reply #76 on: April 15, 2024, 10:57:20 AM »

Over time it has gotten much faster. How much faster depends on what time you're comparing it to and what specifically you're using Redistricter for but overall yes it has been and continues to become more performant.
redistricter
Rookie
United States
« Reply #77 on: April 15, 2024, 10:58:07 AM »

Is redistricter better optimized/does it run faster? I love it but one of the reasons I didn't renew it was that is was very slow, laggy and prone to crashing on chrome.

That’s definitely the biggest downside vs. DRA. It works better on a fast computer (obviously), but there’s also some tricks. I’ve found that selecting precincts via the box tool causes way less lag than individually clicking or using the brush. The only state where I have crashing is California, but that’s slow af on DRA as well.

California is unfortunately quite massive so making it performant will always be a big challenge.
kwabbit

« Reply #78 on: April 15, 2024, 12:12:51 PM »

California is unfortunately quite massive so making it performant will always be a big challenge.

What's the bottleneck, if I might ask? If I had a $4k computer would it run smoothly, or is it a limitation of the web browser, or a server limitation?
redistricter
Rookie
United States
« Reply #79 on: April 15, 2024, 12:15:53 PM »

Usually it's RAM. More RAM = faster performance typically since that's where all of the data is loaded to from the browser.
redistricter
Rookie
United States
« Reply #80 on: April 22, 2024, 10:43:14 AM »

I've added two new map modes for visualizing methods of commute  and jobs by industry

I've also switched most demographics map modes to a purple-yellow palette, instead of the previous black and white. And finally I made some minor adjustments to the ancestries color palette so colors don't repeat for different groups.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #81 on: April 25, 2024, 01:25:23 AM »

Over time it has gotten much faster. How much faster depends on what time you're comparing it to and what specifically you're using Redistricter for but overall yes it has been and continues to become more performant.
Even since when I first started using Redisctricter in November it’s noticeably better.
redistricter
Rookie
United States
« Reply #82 on: April 25, 2024, 01:31:31 PM »

I've added 2022 and 2023 election data to Pennsylvania!

Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #83 on: April 26, 2024, 07:08:27 AM »

Out of curiosity, could you see yourself adding ACS ancestry data? It would be neat if one could create districts based of specific concentrations of ethnic groups.
kwabbit

« Reply #84 on: April 26, 2024, 09:21:12 AM »

Out of curiosity, could you see yourself adding ACS ancestry data? It would be neat if one could create districts based of specific concentrations of ethnic groups.

It has Ancestry Data already, I believe from the ACS. The numbers don't add to 100% though, because it's single ancestry and excludes those who chose multiple options or some people just left that part blank while filling out the ACS. The estimates are also screwy in lower population areas, but that's just how it's going to be with a survey that doesn't intend to reach every person.
redistricter
Rookie
United States
« Reply #85 on: April 26, 2024, 11:55:22 AM »

Good news! Redistricter already has ancestry data and it's split up into 39 different ancestry groups.
redistricter
Rookie
United States
« Reply #86 on: April 26, 2024, 11:55:54 AM »

It has Ancestry Data already, I believe from the ACS. The numbers don't add to 100% though, because it's single ancestry and excludes those who chose multiple options or some people just left that part blank while filling out the ACS. The estimates are also screwy in lower population areas, but that's just how it's going to be with a survey that doesn't intend to reach every person.

Yes it is a little unfortunate but that is the nature of the data. Still very useful though.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #87 on: April 26, 2024, 04:30:50 PM »

Good news! Redistricter already has ancestry data and it's split up into 39 different ancestry groups.
Well, my excuse for not buying a subscription of this is gone and I can't wait to use this as looking at the demo, there is nothing like this. Thank you! 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies