Ask Al Questions (Again)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 08:03:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Ask Al Questions (Again)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ask Al Questions (Again)  (Read 643 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 28, 2024, 06:17:37 PM »

Not done one of these for a while, and I do get bored easily. Outstanding questions from last time round can certainly be brought up again.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2024, 06:22:23 PM »

Which part of Japan is most interesting to you electorally?
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2024, 07:11:16 PM »

Hey Al, how have you been?

Do you think any of the Labour leadership candidates in '76 could've done better than Callaghan and prevented a Thatcher victory, or was that always inevitable?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2024, 07:34:10 PM »
« Edited: April 28, 2024, 07:37:48 PM by Frodo »

I like dabbling in alternative history, and seeing what the AI makes of my inquiries:

What if Ptolemy II Philadelphus, considering his northern flank secure against his other Diadochi rivals thanks to the actions of his late father Ptolemy I Soter, instead directed his attention south to Nubia and then eventually Sheba and its neighboring kingdoms in southwestern Arabia along the coast, including what became Axum on the other side of the Bab al Mandab Strait?
---------------------------------------------------------------

That’s an interesting historical scenario! If Ptolemy II Philadelphus had focused his attention southwards, several outcomes could have been possible:

1.  Expansion of Trade Routes: Nubia, located in northeastern Africa, was rich in resources like gold, ivory, and exotic animals1. If Ptolemy II had conquered Nubia, he could have gained control over these resources and expanded Egypt’s trade routes further south.

2.  Control over Strategic Locations: The Kingdom of Sheba (Saba), located in modern-day Yemen, was known for its wealth and success in trade. If Ptolemy II had managed to conquer Sheba and its neighboring kingdoms in southwestern Arabia, he would have gained control over the strategic Bab el-Mandeb Strait, a crucial chokepoint that connects the Red Sea to the Gulf of Aden and the Indian Ocean.

3.  Cultural Exchange and Influence: Axum, located in the Tigray Region of Ethiopia, was the site of the historic capital of the Aksumite Empire. If Ptolemy II had extended his influence to Axum, it could have led to significant cultural exchange and the spread of Hellenistic culture to East Africa.

However, these conquests would not have been easy. Each of these regions had their own powerful kingdoms and defenses. Moreover, maintaining control over such vast territories would have required significant resources and manpower. It’s also important to consider the potential for local resistance and the logistical challenges posed by the terrain and distance from Egypt.

In reality, Ptolemy II’s reign was marked by conflicts with the Seleucid Empire in the Levant and Asia Minor. His father, Ptolemy I Soter, had secured Egypt’s northern borders, but Ptolemy II’s attention was largely focused on these regions rather than the south.

Nevertheless, your scenario presents a fascinating alternative path that could have significantly altered the course of history in northeastern Africa and southwestern Arabia.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2024, 07:36:09 PM »

What if the Seleucid King Antiochus III after being defeated by the Romans at the battle of Magnesia, turned his attention to India, and sought to not only reclaim the Indus River valley, but also all of North India, taking advantage of the increasingly disorganized and declining Mauryan Empire that historically collapsed in 185 BC?
---------------------------------------------------------------------

That’s an interesting historical “what if” scenario! If Antiochus III had turned his attention to India after his defeat at the Battle of Magnesia, several things might have happened:

1. Military Challenges: The Seleucid Empire, even after the defeat at Magnesia, was still a formidable military power. However, launching a campaign into the Indian subcontinent would require a massive mobilization of resources and manpower. The terrain and distance would pose significant logistical challenges.

2.  Political Consequences: If Antiochus III had been successful in his campaign, it could have drastically altered the political landscape of the region. The Mauryan Empire was indeed in decline, but its collapse led to the rise of the Shunga Empire. If the Seleucids had taken control, the history of the Indian subcontinent could have been significantly different.

3.  Cultural Exchange: The Indo-Greek Kingdoms that historically emerged in the region were known for their rich cultural exchanges, blending Greek and Indian ideas in art, philosophy, and science. If Antiochus III had expanded his empire to include all of North India, these exchanges might have occurred on a much larger scale.

4.  Potential Backlash: While the Seleucids might have initially been successful, they would likely face resistance from local powers. The history of India is filled with examples of foreign powers being absorbed and assimilated into the local culture, rather than the other way around.

Remember, this is all speculative. History is complex, and the outcomes of such scenarios can depend on a multitude of factors. But it’s always fascinating to consider how different actions could have changed the course of history!
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2024, 01:12:04 AM »

Story begins: What if Constantine on the eve of the battle of Milvian Bridge in 312 AD dreamed of Isis emerging from the Tiber, and under the Tyet symbol told him that under this sign he shall conquer?
---------------------------------------------------------------------

In the year 312 AD, on the eve of the Battle of the Milvian Bridge, Constantine, the Roman Emperor, found himself restless. His mind was filled with the weight of the impending battle, the lives at stake, and the future of the Roman Empire. As he drifted into a fitful sleep, he found himself standing on the banks of the Tiber River under a moonlit sky.

Suddenly, the calm surface of the river began to ripple and churn. From the depths emerged Isis, the ancient Egyptian goddess, her robes shimmering with the celestial light. In her hand, she held the Tyet, the Knot of Isis, a symbol of protection and eternal life.

“Constantine,” she spoke, her voice echoing in the silent night. “Under this sign, you shall conquer.”

Constantine woke up, his heart pounding. The dream was vivid, more real than any he had ever had. He could still see the Tyet symbol glowing in his mind’s eye, could still hear Isis’s words echoing in his ears.

Emboldened by the dream, Constantine ordered his soldiers to paint the Tyet symbol on their shields. The next day, under the sign of the Tyet, Constantine led his troops into battle. The Battle of the Milvian Bridge was fierce, but the Roman soldiers fought with a ferocity and determination that was unmatched.

In the end, Constantine emerged victorious. His belief in the power of the Tyet symbol and the protection of Isis had given him and his soldiers the strength and courage they needed to overcome their enemies.

From that day forward, Constantine embraced the Egyptian goddess Isis and the Tyet symbol. Temples were built in her honor, and the Tyet symbol was integrated into Roman iconography. The Roman Empire, under Constantine’s rule, saw a resurgence of ancient Egyptian religious practices, forever altering the course of history.

And so, the story of Constantine and the Tyet symbol became a legend, a testament to the power of dreams and the mysterious ways in which the divine can guide the course of history.

---------------------------

And of course I asked the follow-up: What happened to Christianity in this alternate history?
-------------------------------------------------------------

In this alternate history, the course of Christianity would have been significantly different. With Constantine’s dream of Isis and the Tyet symbol, he might have integrated Egyptian religious practices into the Roman Empire instead of Christianity.

Christianity, which was largely spread and institutionalized due to Constantine’s endorsement in our timeline, might not have received the same level of imperial support and recognition in this alternate scenario. Without the patronage of one of the most powerful empires of the time, Christianity might have remained a minor religion, or perhaps evolved differently to adapt to the new religious landscape.

However, it’s also possible that Christianity could have still found its way to prominence through other means or at a later time. History is complex and multifaceted, and the rise and fall of religions can be influenced by a multitude of factors.

It’s important to note that this is purely speculative. The actual outcomes would depend on a wide range of variables and circumstances. But it’s certainly an intriguing thought experiment!
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2024, 05:01:23 AM »

^^ incredible forum moment.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2024, 07:27:31 AM »

Should we tell Frodo? I vote that it's funnier if we don't.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2024, 09:44:22 AM »

How would you deal with irregular migration into Britain?
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2024, 11:50:55 AM »

How would the politics of an independent Scotland differ from those of Scottish devolved elections now?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2024, 12:48:59 PM »

Which part of Japan is most interesting to you electorally?

Nowhere in Japan is anything other than interesting electorally, but the Tokyo metropolis, Hokkaido and the industrial belt that covers most of Aichi and Shizuoka prefectures are all regions of heightened interest, I suppose.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2024, 01:51:05 PM »

I had been, I think it's fair to say, quite ill for a while, but I'm a lot better now due to the magic of modern medicine.

Do you think any of the Labour leadership candidates in '76 could've done better than Callaghan and prevented a Thatcher victory, or was that always inevitable?

All we can say is that Callaghan was PM during an exceptionally difficult period and needed all his (considerable) abilities to keep the show on the road and the country safe from an actual economic crisis, and also that in order to do that he also needed Foot to run the Commons and Healey as Chancellor. Without an equivalent to that any alternative would not even reach 1979. Foot was irreplaceable as Leader of the House and, as everyone found out (under, admittedly, even worse circumstances for the Party) a few years later, was not really suited for the television era, as spectacular a Commons performer as he was. There would have been an alternative to Healey (Dell, his deputy in real life) but he was as undiplomatic as Healey and if factional issues made it impossible to pick Healey, they would also have ruled out Dell who was slightly to his right and strongly pro-EEC. Of all the contenders, Jenkins was thinking along lines closest to the median voter by 1976, but he was too divisive given the parliamentary situation. And Crosland (who, for all his faults, I have a lot of time for) was out of time both intellectually and, sadly, literally and would have died in this scenario as well.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2024, 02:20:06 PM »

I had been, I think it's fair to say, quite ill for a while, but I'm a lot better now due to the magic of modern medicine.

All we can say is that Callaghan was PM during an exceptionally difficult period and needed all his (considerable) abilities to keep the show on the road and the country safe from an actual economic crisis, and also that in order to do that he also needed Foot to run the Commons and Healey as Chancellor. Without an equivalent to that any alternative would not even reach 1979. Foot was irreplaceable as Leader of the House and, as everyone found out (under, admittedly, even worse circumstances for the Party) a few years later, was not really suited for the television era, as spectacular a Commons performer as he was. There would have been an alternative to Healey (Dell, his deputy in real life) but he was as undiplomatic as Healey and if factional issues made it impossible to pick Healey, they would also have ruled out Dell who was slightly to his right and strongly pro-EEC. Of all the contenders, Jenkins was thinking along lines closest to the median voter by 1976, but he was too divisive given the parliamentary situation. And Crosland (who, for all his faults, I have a lot of time for) was out of time both intellectually and, sadly, literally and would have died in this scenario as well.

A follow-up question to this, if I might - what's your opinion of Tony Benn? I suppose you failing to (or not bothering) mention him in this answer gives a pretty strong hint...
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2024, 03:16:00 PM »

Have you ever howled/cried of laughter at an Atlas incident? If so which one?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2024, 06:42:25 PM »

I see.  I didn't read the previous thread, but I am getting the idea.  All right:

Let's suppose former Prime Minister Winston Churchill took advice from his family, and gracefully retired instead of becoming opposition leader after his landslide defeat in 1945 to Clement Attlee of the Labour Party, leaving his protege Anthony Eden to take charge of the Conservative Party.  Are there any appreciable changes from the actual timeline, apart from Eden leading Conservatives to victory in 1951?  
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2024, 09:12:21 PM »

What would it take for a 2019 style result to happen in the UK again within the next 10 to 15 years?
What do you make of Arfiya Eri?
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2024, 07:43:12 AM »

What political environment would be required for Plaid Cymru to ever reach SNP-levels of governing relevance in Wales?
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2024, 10:38:08 AM »

What political environment would be required for Plaid Cymru to ever reach SNP-levels of governing relevance in Wales?

Al to suddenly wake up and no longer being fluent in Welsh.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2024, 12:59:23 PM »

How would you deal with irregular migration into Britain?

I favour the 'Kigali? No! Kilkeel!' policy, i.e. permanent 'processing' in Northern Ireland.

Seriously, though, the reality of a sea border means that the issue is much less of a problem than in certain other European countries, and the level of hysteria from the government presently is wildly and weirdly out of place. For all sorts of reasons (some practical, some humanitarian, some both), we don't actually want to have people making unauthorized trips across the Channel on flimsy boats and rubber dinghies, so it's a matter of establishing varies safe crossing routes (as used to exist) and then getting on with the actual processing work, which is the knub of the matter as there's a massive post-austerity backlog and present staffing levels are too low to actually handle things.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2024, 06:29:52 PM »

Yes, I accidentally read that as 'Ask AI Questions (Again)' instead of 'Ask Al Questions (Again)'.  Smiley

Artificial Intelligence versus good old Al!

I am keeping my previous posts in there, though!  Those are interesting what-if questions (at least to me), so if anyone wants to tackle them, by all means....  
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2024, 02:45:43 PM »
« Edited: May 01, 2024, 02:49:35 PM by All Along The Watchtower »

Least Bad Pakistani leader*? Tongue

*not counting the real leaders ofc: the Generals.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies